fold aound metal ends

Hello.

I have a question for the makers and advanced restaurers. Everytime I see one of the jeffries ,Crabbs or lachenal metal ended anglos I try to figure out how they made the fold around the borders. Does anyone of you have a picture of the tools they whre using? Is there a particular jig that the actual makers use to get that neat fold all around?

Over the years I have seen many attempts which have been successful. Always using some sort of forming tools, the pressure being applied by various methods including the use of a large vice or various designs of screwed clamps. I still use the tools and arrangement in the attacment as this is how we always did it, finding it to be the easiest way.

I have often been asked why the crimp is not formed in one go to all the edges, using appropriately shaped lower and upper tools. Apart from the need for a much more substantial press, with hand made carcass components there is no guarantee that the parts, when assembled, will be identical in size or indeed form a perfect hexagon, octagon etc. However, any imperfection is usually slight and not apparent to the eye. I cut and fit the tops to match the actual shape /size of each instrument and therefore the individual crimping of each edge ensures that overall, each crimp is of equal width so any slight deviation in shape remains inconspicous.

Geoff

It is possible to do this with even more low tech devices. I have attached a pic of a press I used a few years ago to make about ten pairs of ends. It is still in good order and I think it would last a while. It is made from two small pieces of 16gauge galv steel the end, already cut out, is place in between the pieces, positioned carefully and the ring is clamped loosely over the top, lined up on three pins. The whole plot is then squashed one side at a time in a vice. The underside of the ring is rounded to encourage the right shape.

I realise this is an inadequate description, if anyone is keen let me know and I'll elaborate on it.

Chris

post-74-0-32994300-1323782860_thumb.jpeg

post-74-0-77872800-1323782882_thumb.jpg