Odd Wheatstone Duet

Ajay

I'm new to this forum but have lurked a great deal. I'm mostly an Irish accordion player and collecter of free reed instruments. I have come across a Duet concertina originally sold to me as a Lachenal. I posted it on Ebay because I do not play the concertina. However it's become a fascinating project for me and I have taken it down from Ebay as I might keep it now or at the minimum research it a bit more. The concertina is a 57 key. The Serial is hard to make out as I did open it up it appears to be 26337 or 26887. The box was originally I was led to believe a Lachenal. I opened it up and found the wheatstone mark, No. 38 and the Serial as listed above (it's rather difficult to make out). I'm fairly sure it's a 26000 series from looking at the serial. A respected member of this forum Mr Merris looked up No. 26337 in the Wheatstone Ledgers But No. 26337 in the ledgers is a 48-Key English concertina. He then looked through all the serial numbers and descriptions in the 26000-27000 range. One that has a description that seems to fit this concertina is No. 26447 (dated July 10, 1914). But the number showing on the concertina certainly does not look like 26447. I cannot explain it. Perhaps it's a factory error? An oddity? I have photographs but cannot put them up until this evening. It's a mystery to me....I'm flummoxed!

Thank you sir! Glad you could make it out, I certainly could not. Again my thanks!

Here is a link to the photos of the Concertina in question.

Looks like 26937 to me. And lo, the Wheatstone ledgers list that number as "Duet Nickel Black 58 keys." I guess they count the air button.

http://www.horniman.info/DKNSARC/SD01/PAGES/D1P0780L.HTM

Looks like 26937 to me. And lo, the Wheatstone ledgers list that number as "Duet Nickel Black 58 keys." I guess they count the air button.

http://www.horniman.info/DKNSARC/SD01/PAGES/D1P0780L.HTM

Yes. For reasons unknown (at least to me), the Wheatstone ledgers don't include the air button in the button count on either Englishes or anglos, but do on duets.