The Journey Begins or Me and My Concertina

Jeff C

You might find it difficult enouqh to find anyone out there who can play just one of them to perfection.

• "Perfection" is a matter of personal taste, not a measurable, invariant quality.
  • Perfection is like infinity; you can pursue it forever without getting any closer.

'Perfection' is still not a bad thing to aim for.

I prefer to aim for
excellence
I think it's more realistic and -- for me at least -- more than adequate.
:)

No harm in aiming !

"Perfection" is a funny word, one I try not to use. I can't have a visceral connection with it, so I can't "aim" for it. But I can aim for an ideal, that is, a sound I have in my head, how I want something to sound. I know I won't reach that ideal, but I know I can get closer and closer...athough the ideal will evolve over time, too. So if you call that ideal "perfection," then I can't imagine aiming for less, no matter how "excellent" that "less than ideal" may be. How would you decide in what way you wanted to compromise that ideal? Of course, I can aim at one aspect of it at a time, and recognize and value the result when I get closer. But "closer" isn't the aim point. If you're aiming an arrow at a target, it doesn't make sense to aim for "within a few inches of the center." Even if you're happy with that result, you aim for the center anyway, right?