fiddle and concertina

LDT

http://www.onmvoice....lay.php?a=24860

Drunken sailor - rather squeeky at first but gets better as I 'relax' more

Fiddle & anglo concertina

Only bee learning fiddle for 2 months....so apologies...send all the cats out the room.

Where did you find the bee to accompany you on his fiddle ?

been not bee...didn't spot that typo.

I'm guessing the lack of other comments means it really was that bad

Edited by LDT

For me as long as it is possible to recognize the tune is ok. There are different levels of playing, beginner, advance and so on, what I love of this forum is that everybody can share the tunes they just learned.

Two months with the fiddle? It sounds well! keep it up!

Fernando

Two years for the concertina? well, we are not going to learn like the children do, they learn so fast.

I learnt that the best approach to learning an instrument is to do it little by little. Each time I stop practising I try to do it when having a good feeling, not not when I already feel frustrated. Doing so, I know the day after I will be ready to play again. More than likely I wont reach a high level of playing, because I started late, when I was 30 years of age, but who cares!. I almost play everyday, and I can tell you, I can have the same fun with my playing as the people that play at a professional level, or even more.

This is my hobby, and this is the most important thing for me.

I hope you enjoy your playing to the fullest LTD! We will always listen all the recordings that you put in this forum

All the best!

Fernando

I'm not sure that age itself is a big barrier to learning, or to getting very good. The main things you need are (quality!) time, focused practice and good instruction. Those things tend to come a lot easier when you're in a school environment than an adult.

Learning the fiddle (of all instruments) is a brave thing to do as an adult, because pretty much everyone is going to sound, to be honest, terrible for the first couple of years at least! A friend/colleague of mine started learning the fiddle four or five years ago (aged around 30) and I heard recently he now plays with a band called Jigfoot, and sounds pretty good. There's a lot of hard work involved, but it's worth it, and without the work it wouldn't be so satisfying.

I'm not sure that age itself is a big barrier to learning, or to getting very good. The main things you need are (quality!) time, focused practice and good instruction. Those things tend to come a lot easier when you're in a school environment than an adult.

Learning the fiddle (of all instruments) is a brave thing to do as an adult, because pretty much everyone is going to sound, to be honest, terrible for the first couple of years at least!

I think as a child I would have been put off by the difficulty (plus we never had money for lessons etc.) and not have the patience/concentration needed to keep at it.

A friend/colleague of mine started learning the fiddle four or five years ago (aged around 30) and I heard recently he now plays with a band called Jigfoot, and sounds pretty good. There's a lot of hard work involved, but it's worth it, and without the work it wouldn't be so satisfying.

That's an odd coincidence...he's on the fiddle forum I'm on under the psudonym bwzuk.

Learning the fiddle (of all instruments) is a brave thing to do as an adult, because pretty much everyone is going to sound, to be honest, terrible for the first couple of years at least!

A friend of mine who is 61 years old, took up the fiddle 18 months ago, and has been getting tuition from a violin teacher, who (according to my friend) is impressed by his progress, and is putting him in for Grade 3 exams fairly shortly, bypassing grades 1 and 2. He has been meticulous about his practice, and has found his (classical) teacher an inspiration ... age certainly isn't a barrier. (I have also known friends to take up the piano in their sixties, and enjoy themselves while doing so.)

A friend of mine who is 61 years old, took up the fiddle 18 months ago, and has been getting tuition from a violin teacher, who (according to my friend) is impressed by his progress

It's been noticed that adults learn quicker, been motivated and more experienced. Adult problems are expectation, lack of time and health problems, resulting from too rigorous practice. They also may be put down by "stupidity" of teachers. Something kids don't pay attention to.