Any Irish trad anglo teachers in Chicago wanna give a one-off lesson?

LHMark

My geographic location forces me to learn in a vacuum. I've heard rumors of other concertina players in Rochester, NY, but they're a reclusive, secretive species.

I'll be in Chicago April 7-11, and I'd love to take advantage of free time in a larger city to sit down and do a workshop with an experienced trad player. If anyone's interested, please let me know your availability and rates. I'd really appreciate the opportunity.

-Mark

I recently went to a local contra dance (having intended to do so for quite some time, independent of my musical inclinations) and was startled to meet there not one, but two concertina players! And me never having met anybody before.

If you don't find anybody on the forum, you might try lurking around local contra dances a few times. I see there's a website to tell you about them: http://www.rochestercontra.com/

Good luck, in any case!

I don't know if it's the sort of thing you're looking for, but John Williams might be available, he's a five-time All Ireland winner and the only American born to win the senior category on concertina. I did a five-day set of lessons with him several years ago and I know at least one person in the Chicago area that was taking weekly instruction with him for a time.

There was a related thread some years ago here, and if you go to his website you'll see contact information for him, and also that he's performing on April 11th in Chicago.

(Edited to correct performance date)

Edited by Bruce McCaskey