Jeremy and Alan Hague

I'd just like to give personal thanks to Jeremy ( new ICA Librarian) and his dad Alan who came out on a foul night from Nottingham to The Royal Concertinas at Dungworth, near Sheffield

They played to an appreciative roomfull in the Snug and showed us the kind of music played by Herbert, Jeremy's grandad. He even had a digitised recording from an old cassette of the Derwent Trio and played along !

It was an eye opener to me a simple Anglo player at what can be achieved on EC and the skill that was around amongst ordinary folk..

It was an excellent insight into arrangements and encouraged me to go further.

We also had Amazing Grace on a miniature concertina and Neil Wayne had one that split in two and kept playing by 'smoke and mirrors'

A top night out and worth risking the black ice over the moors

Thanks to Mark Davis and and Geoff Wright for setting it up

Mike

I'd just like to give personal thanks to Jeremy ( new ICA Librarian) and his dad Alan who came out on a foul night from Nottingham to The Royal Concertinas at Dungworth, near Sheffield

They played to an appreciative roomfull in the Snug and showed us the kind of music played by Herbert, Jeremy's grandad. He even had a digitised recording from an old cassette of the Derwent Trio and played along !

It was an eye opener to me a simple Anglo player at what can be achieved on EC and the skill that was around amongst ordinary folk..

It was an excellent insight into arrangements and encouraged me to go further.

We also had Amazing Grace on a miniature concertina and Neil Wayne had one that split in two and kept playing by 'smoke and mirrors'

A top night out and worth risking the black ice over the moors

Thanks to Mark Davis and and Geoff Wright for setting it up

Mike

Thanks very much for your kind comments Michael, it was great fun.

Many thanks also to Geoff and Mark for their kind invitation and warm hospitality.

Let's hope that we can meet up again in the Summer.

Jeremy

p.s I'll try and send you the music that you wanted over the weekend

A most enjoyable and informative evening, in a style of "playing out" not heard as much these days - thanks to you both.

Did much band music (marches etc. in parts) get into the ICA library or is it a bit sparse? The concertinas seemed to get passed on with the demise of concertina bands, I wonder what happened to the part music?

Hi Geoff,

Thanks Geoff,

I've not come across any old concertina band music - yet! I guess that the instruments were tuned in the same keys as brass instruments and they could use already existing brass and silver band music; I'm happy to be corrected on this though.

My dad has a Wheatstone Aeola Tenor concertina tuned in B flat. A lovely compact instrument with the bass notes I like playing, but missing some of the usual treble notes.

My nephew, Christopher, came to visit last weekend with his new cornet (also in b flat) and my dad could accompany Christopher's splendid rendition of "Congratulations" by playing from the same music without any need for transposing.

Jeremy.