A/e Concertina Etc.

I've just finished a special order instrument in A/E, and am working on a second one for a customer. It has a great sound, and while it may be difficult to work in at a session, sounds terrific for solo work, or perhaps for song accompaniment. I have one set of A/E reeds left, if anyone is interested.

Also, I have started making my grills using stainless steel. The reason for this is that some people have an acidic component to the sweat on their finger tips and this can, in some cases, discolour the grills. This can be very difficult to remove. By using stailess, the grills remain as new for life, requiring only a wiping with a dry cloth to remove any smudges etc. These grills are not stamped out but are cut as my german silver ones. They are also the same thickness as the nickel silver, but are slightly lighter in weight as stainless is lighter the german silver. They look great and will remain that way. Using stainless is a lot harder on the tools, but I think it's worth it. There is no extra charge for stainless. Of course, there are also two different wooden-ended models for anyone preferring wood.

Hi Frank,

A/E is a great anglo key. As you know, if you play it "Irish style" with the fingering normally used for a C/G it will be in tune with a B set of pipes or whistle, for a wonderful low-pitch sound (cf. Jacqueline McCarthy's recordings). If you ever play duet gigs with a guitarist in standard tuning, this will give some great sounds and accompaniment options given the guitar's low E string. If played "G/D" style, it gives the additional brightness you might expect, being a full tone higher - but is not so shrill as a C/G played that way. But (until I had to sell mine) I also used the A/E often for song accompaniment, for playing tunes in the key of A "melodeon style" up and down the A row, and for playing blues in the very bluesy key of E. Of course, on the A/E the key of E can be fingered in many ways (like the key of G on a C/G), giving lots of options for chromatic slurs, dominant sevenths, etc.

Great that you are making these available.

Paul

As you know, if you play it "Irish style" with the fingering normally used for a C/G it will be in tune with a B set of pipes or whistle, for a wonderful low-pitch sound (cf. Jacqueline McCarthy's recordings).

I'll proudly own up to being the instigator of this project. The quote is exactly my thinking for requesting it. I just fell in love with the low sound of pipes and concertinas (like The Nervous Man -- Micheal O'Raghallaigh).

I just picked this instrument up at UPS this morning. It is gorgeous in every sense. It looks, sounds, and feels great. Stay tuned, I'll be posting pictures and audio very soon.

Tom Lawrence

Frank, Out of curiosity, what sort of price does a box in this tuning run to? I played one of your boxes in the pub in Goderich last summer and was blown away by it. (I was a youngish English chap playing at the festival). A/E sounds like my perfect singing box. (though it is fair to point out my wife/bank manager may not agree :))

Gav

Hi Frank,

I'm sure you know that stainless steel comes in many grades. If you don't mind sharing, what grade did you choose, and for what reasons? Thanks.

Best regards,

Tom

www.bluesbox.biz

Dear Tom,

I use mirror finish stainless, I forget what number. I have left that to the company that does the cutting. Nickel silver is also still available.

Dear Gav,

The price is $1850 plus case for the A/E model.