More Mark Gilston on YouTube

Tradman

• 2 weeks later...

A song this week... Taking a break from Swedish tunes ... A ballad from the Penguin Book of English Folk Songs

The Mermaid - one of the first songs I worked out on concertina many years ago. (The first one was Sovay.) I used to play it in G minor, but as my voice has gotten lower with age, I've transposed it to E minor. The arrangement is the same.

Enjoy,

Mark gilston

• Like 1

This week's upload is a very different kind of Swedish tune. It's a hambo in a style which is rarely played anymore because it has gone out of favor with the dancers, but it's very notey and a lot of fun to play.

Enjoy,

Mark Gilston

After a brief hiatus due to a busy schedule, I've uploaded a Swedish bridal march.
This week I posted an old Swedish waltz: Roligs Per
This week I've uploaded the Bark Bread tune, a Swedish commemorative tune of the 1725 famine.
Today's upload is a fast Swedish polska from the nyckelharpa repertoire.
This week's upload is a very different kind of Swedish tune. It's a hambo in a style which is rarely played anymore because it has gone out of favor with the dancers, but it's very notey and a lot of fun to play.
This week, another Swedish wedding march. This time a well known brudmarsch from Leksand

So Mark, are you coming to the
next month?
;)

After a brief hiatus due to a busy schedule, I've uploaded a Swedish bridal march.
This week I posted an old Swedish waltz: Roligs Per
This week I've uploaded the Bark Bread tune, a Swedish commemorative tune of the 1725 famine.
Today's upload is a fast Swedish polska from the nyckelharpa repertoire.
This week, another Swedish wedding march. This time a well known brudmarsch from Leksand

So Mark, are you coming to the
next month?
;)

I certainly wish that I could. Looks like a wonderful little gathering.

Today I have uploaded a French bourrée. I use a special bellows technique to emphasize the rhythm.

Just for novelty value, I have also uploaded the same tune on mountain dulcimer:

Hope you enjoy,

Mark Gilston

Very nice indeed; the arrangement makes it. There's a sort of bagpipey feel to the accompaniment; I don't know if that's what you intended but it seems entirely appropriate. You could swap the video of you for one of those 17c Bruegel pictures of cavorting peasants instead and it would be just right. I played it twice straight through, the ultimate vote of satisfaction.

All those poor little valves must need a rest at the end. I don't expect they know if they're coming or going, or coming again, or something.

Very nice indeed; the arrangement makes it. There's a sort of bagpipey feel to the accompaniment; I don't know if that's what you intended but it seems entirely appropriate. You could swap the video of you for one of those 17c Bruegel pictures of cavorting peasants instead and it would be just right. I played it twice straight through, the ultimate vote of satisfaction.

All those poor little valves must need a rest at the end. I don't expect they know if they're coming or going, or coming again, or something.

Thanks Dirge. Yes I love cabrette (Auvergne bagpipes)and vielle (hurdy-gurdy) and I'm definitely trying to capture some of that flavor in my French arrangements.

I'll be teaching accompaniment styles at the Palestine (Texas) Dulcimer and Old Time Festival this week-end. One of the things I really enjoy about English concertina is the ability to play complete Sacred Harp arrangements on a single instrument. Here's the first one I ever worked out:

Enjoy,

Mark Gilston