english teacher needed

LizP

I am a novice musician and, having been given a beautiful english concertina on long term loan, want to learn to play it. As I am a real novice I cannot join sessions and need to join a class or get some one to one tuition to get going. I live in London N1 and there seems to be a shortage of teachers throughout London - can anyone please help.

Hello Liz, welcome to the forum. First of all I must say you are very lucky to find someone generous enough to lend you a concertina for an extended period! I'm too far away to help but you might enjoy watching this series by forum member nytram on youtube:

I wish you luck finding a teacher but if it doesn't happen straight away don't give up, just pop back here and maybe we can help get you started.

Pete. :)

Maybe you can try to join an anglo concertina class. The same happened to me, It is difficult to find an english concertina teacher here in Galway, and I joined a class where all the players play anglo concertinas but me. You listen them, write down the notes, try to find them in your concertina, and copy the ornamentation and everything. And you can learn to move the belows in the same way as they do as well, they do that well. But if you want to learn to play chords I'm not sure, we only do the melody.

Good luck!