Final graphics for the "Concertina" iPhone/iPod Touch app

Maybe you should wait for the Apple tablet rumored to be released in March...

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple is planning to ship a tablet device in March, following the unveiling of the new device in January.

Apple is rumored to be announcing a "major" new product at an event on January 27th or 26th in San Francisco.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Apple's tablet would retail for around $1000 and be equipped with a 10- to 11-inch touch screen.

Plenty of space for all the buttons we need!

Think of all the possibilities! :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you should wait for the Apple tablet rumored to be released in March...

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple is planning to ship a tablet device in March, following the unveiling of the new device in January.

Apple is rumored to be announcing a "major" new product at an event on January 27th or 26th in San Francisco.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Apple's tablet would retail for around $1000 and be equipped with a 10- to 11-inch touch screen.

Plenty of space for all the buttons we need!

Think of all the possibilities! :)

The tablet is going to make all sorts of interesting things possible, but I still think the iPod Touch and iPhone are tiny little miracles.

a friend in the game tells me they will soon be bringing out larger rollout screens for handheld devices ( I assume like the screens we had for slide projectors only LED?)

Good news for old buggers like me who just prod at random ( if you know what I mean, no offense meant!rolleyes.gif )

Really, as far as the graphics, just a 320x480 image with circles where the buttons should be for playing would be fine. Mostly for me to determine if it can be workable as as UI.

A bit crowded but it might be workable.

post-2537-12626625780659_thumb.jpg

This looks absolutely perfect, looking at the image, I don't see any problem at all making this a reality very quickly.

Unless I run into some issues during development, I can definitely bang this out before Feb 1. Don't know how many background skins I'll have, but you'll have an English Concertina on the iPhone/iPod Touch shortly.

Michael

Hi Michael

There was an article in The Daily Mail yesterday headed Geeks striking gold with apps likening it to a new California goldrush! The new Google Nexus One should help it along.

Apparently you can expect seven figure pay days!!!tongue.gif

Seriously though it's nice to see you get to keep 70% of our 59p

I'm just off to buy Wired magazine a thing I've never wanted to do before!

Here's the big new feature in the 1.3 update coming out next, I've revamped the Learning Mode so that its easier to use.

Touch the "?" once and you get a clear display of both notes on each button:

4258074511_f068b6926d_o.jpg

Touch it again and the button note display dynamically tracks the bellow push/pull:

In this mode, everytime the bellow changes direction all the note labels change to reflect the bellows direction, here's an animation showing switching between push and pull:

4259079150_cbab1429b8_o.gif

Touch the "?" again to return to the selected background skin. All settings are how saved when you exit and restored when you run the app again.

I think this will go a long way to help demystify the Anglo keyboard layout.

I've also leveraged the sample work done for Englitina to improve the timbre consistency and attack speed of the samples, those are now in the Anglo version as well.

For now, I'm only adding the dynamic note display mode to the C/G version, but all the flat tuned versions will get the new easier to read learning mode static skins in the 1.3 update coming out soon.

Update has been submitted to Apple, will be available in a week or so.

Michael

Edited by eskin

Whether you have an iphone or not, that diagram does indeed go a long way towards demystifying the anglo keyboard. When I think over the couple of years I've hung around on this site how often people have asked for pointers to diagrams of layouts.... We should commission you to do these animated diagrams for every anglo layout in full scale with all the buttons.

With all the work I've been putting into improving the C/G version, I've decided to change the price to $2.99 for new buyers (the other keys will all stay at $0.99). Anyone who already purchased it will continue to get all updates for free, of course.

With all the work I've been putting into improving the C/G version, I've decided to change the price to $2.99 for new buyers (the other keys will all stay at $0.99). Anyone who already purchased it will continue to get all updates for free, of course.

Michael, as a regular app user could I question your pricing policy and stategy for the apps.

By creating all these concertinas as separate apps you are (I think) creating more work for yourself and missing sales. Also you are creating an update and administrative nightmare. I'd much rather see a single concertina app at a serious price like £4.99 where I could explore the different tunings and types of concertina all in the one app. That way you get a sensible return for your efforts, your market is not split into segments, you are only updating one app, and us users don't have separate concertina icons filling up our home screens. You can also update the pricing for the app as you add more features rather than creating different prices based on the update status of different versions.

Simon

Simon, thank you for the input, I very much appreciate it.

Currently, it's actually simpler for me to have the separate apps. I'd have to do a lot of work to have them all in one app, but it's definitely something to consider when I have some extended time to work on it. This is something I'm doing as a hobby between 10 PM and the wee hours, have to pick and choose what to work on carefully to avoid having this completely take over my life. :-)

Today, I brought the flat keyed versions learning mode displays up to par with the C/G version black/white themed screen shots I posted above (but without the dynamic note display mode) and submitted those to Apple for approval. Once those (will be version 1.3) are on the store, I'm not intending to add any more features to the Bb/F, A/E, and G/D apps other than make bug fixes if required.

There are more advanced things I will eventually want to do (for example "follow-me" tune teaching), but they will be implemented exclusively on the C/G code base.

I'm not just focusing on those already familiar with the Anglo concertina, I want anyone who is remotely interested in the instrument to be able to, using my app, learn to play some tunes and maybe have the thought "I think I might just be able play one of these, where can I get a real one or learn more about the instrument?"

I think it would be wonderful to have a large new body of people familiar with the instrument. It would benefit those who teach the instrument, might get a few more Anglo players in the local sessions, and the builders may get more orders. My goal was to develop a very high quality app, and to price it low enough so anyone can justify buying it and become more familiar with the instrument, but at the same time make a fair return on my investment of time and energy.

The pricing is something that I'll figure out with time... The flat keys sell less than 1/10th as many units combined than the C/G version, so I'm not very motivated to put much effort into integrating all of them into one app. I figure if anyone wants them, they are available and very inexpensive as additional dedicated apps.

Edited by eskin

Updated all the apps today with the ability to play along with iTunes music. Also for the Bb/F, A/E, and G/D apps, I also updated the samples with the latest from the other apps, since I had to come up with a whole new set of low samples (sweet!) for the Englitina app. All submitted to Apple for review, will show up as free updates sometime next week. Will show up as version 1.4 of the Anglo apps, version 1.1 of the English.

Edited by eskin

• 7 months later...

Howdy:

I dowloaded Englitina a few days ago and find the keyboard daunting.

I looked at the YouTube vids and tried it but the keyboard layout is not making sense to me.

Has this been discussed previously and can anyone give me the link to that discussion?

I'm, not the only one I know that is having a tough time with this.

Thanks,

Perry Werner

Howdy:

I dowloaded Englitina a few days ago and find the keyboard daunting.

I looked at the YouTube vids and tried it but the keyboard layout is not making sense to me.

Has this been discussed previously and can anyone give me the link to that discussion?

I'm, not the only one I know that is having a tough time with this.

Thanks,

Perry Werner

There was this announcement thread. Though most of the keyboard discussion there was is a few posts above in this thread.

The lack of tactile feedback makes it a bit tricky without looking but what is confusing about the layout? (Of course, if you know what is confusing, it probably wouldn't be confusing)