Hello Again

Hello All:

I'm popping in to say "hello" after a lengthy absence. I've missed you!

There were two big reasons behind my defection, call it three: pouting, family illness, and time constraints.

I was pouting because I was unable to attend two concertina workshop events where I'd hoped to learn more with others after wheezing through "La Mer."

This has been a difficult year for family illness and everything -- time, finances, energy -- has been diverted to that.

As a result, time has become increasingly precious and I've been frequently too drained from work and family obligations to do much more than crawl into bed at the end of the day. This depsite really wanting to work on projects with others here (you know who you are) including the C.Net Big Band. And for those wondering, I haven't been practicing mandolin either ... and I have even skipped band practice in recent weeks which just ain't like me.

Well, 2005 has got to be better. It just *has* to ... and I'm hoping to make a trip to SESI/NESI as well as make some time for practice during optimal energy hours. (And while the neighbors are away!) I'm still very, very far from being ready to play concertina in public!

The best concertina-related happening of the year (other than getting my 'tina) was finally getting to hear a recording of Simon Thoumire! If you haven't heard Keep It Up's "On Safari," it's a must!

Happy Holidays Everyone,

ldp

Let me add my voice offering profound and heartfelt wishes that 2005 will show some light at the end of the tunnel. It's been a rough one for me as well, ending with my mom in the hospital having been hit by a pickup truck last week. She'll be ok, eventually, but it's been quite a year.

Welcome back, ldp, and may we all thrive in 2005!

Thanks for your kind words.

I just merely wanted everyone to know that I hadn't come on here, wasted people's time and expertise. I sincerely appreciate all the helpful information I've gotten thus far and I do intend to put it to good use.

Thank you for your kind words, Helen. Your icon is always such a cheerful lagniappe!

And, you're right, Stephen. I probably should have immersed myself in music. It's really tough to practice in the doctor's office. I say that, but one musician I know got a paying gig at a hospital prescisely BECAUSE she was practicing while visiting her grandfather. Yes, you are right.

Animaterra -- I am so very sorry to hear about your mother. It's hard to have a loved one in the hospital. My thoughts and best wishes are with you.

I'll be so happy when January 1, 2005 arrives!

"Star of the County Down" sound like a good starting tune to attempt to master as I work my way through the tutor?

Allison,

Best wishes to you and I sincerely hope your mother is doing well. Will she be on crutches or a walker? Bad time of year, slippery, to have trouble walking. Or maybe no leg problems. Have no idea why I was thinking she hurt her leg.

The best new year to all of us. And our families.

Helen

Helen, she broke both ankles and cracked her pelvis. She had surgery yesterday; I'm waiting to hear the results. She'll be off her feet for some weeks to come, then hopefully cruising around on whatever assistance they can give her that will give her the most independence! She's a salty old lady (her words!) and won't let this totally let her down. But we'll be spending Christmas in the hospital.

To get some music into this thread: I brought the Jeffries to the hospital last week and gave a little concert in her room; played the songs I'm just beginning to learn to do with 'tina accomp: Einini (an Irish lullabye) and the Cherry Tree Carol, as well as the North Skelton sword dance and a few other ditties. After Christmas my harpist and recorder friends are coming with me and we'll give a proper concert, if we can fit the three of us anywhere on the orthopedic floor!

ldp, don't "should" on yourself! Get going with the music as soon as you can, though, and begin to enjoy its theraputic effects. "Star of the Co. Down" sounds like just the thing! My first tune was Silent Night, as I'm about to come to the first anniversary of playing the concertina! It was 12/22, which was also my anniversary with my now deceased beloved.