English Concertina Tutor Needed For Complete Beginner

RiverHamble

Hi there.

Anybody have any thoughts on where I can find a tutor in the Hampshire area?

Hi,

It really depends on what type of music you want to play. If it's "folk", then local Folk Clubs or Morris teams might have/know of people with the ability to get you started.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi there.

Anybody have any thoughts on where I can find a tutor in the Hampshire area?

Doesn't Concertina Connections sell tutor wich usually comes with concertina, if you buy from them?

It's not much of a tutor, but useful for a complete beginner. After the completion you'll be left on your own. Just find some easy violin or fluite pieces and practice. Accordion books are good too, esp. those with hefty right hand arrangements. Just omit the bass cleff and play "half" the arrangement.

Similarly, if you are mentor oriented, you can get accordion book with right hand excercizes, drills and etudes. They may be more piano keyboard centered, but Cherni's etudes are used by Piano players, PA players, and Russian Bayan players as well, so I guess, they may be good for Concertina players too.

Hi and thanks for the posts.

I am looking to play folky jigs and shanty type music and I have sent emails to the Fo'sle Folk Club and to the Squires of two local Morris groups but as yet still no answer.

Yes the Concertina Connections products do come with a tutor book that will teach the basics and I have also purchased another two tutor books from The Music Room but they are no substiute for a real person who can guide teach and chide where and when necessary.

The other problem I have is that I work away alot so I am not always home.

I have found Martyns video collection on Youtube very useful and it is a shame that I can't down load them and take with me.

Still we live in hope.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello RiverHamble,

There are quite a few players of English Concertina in the Southampton area.

There's at least one goes regularly to the Star in Romsey on a Wednesday night. That's a nice session, that one, very relaxed, and they play a nice variety of tunes.

Every two or three weeks there's a barn dance practice in Eastleigh Railway Workers' hall, the band is whoever turns up, and there are a couple of girls there occasionally with their Englishes.

The area is just packed with folk music, and even if you have to go all the way to Romsey I'm sure people there will know where you can find something closer to home.

Happy hunting. I'm just the teeniest bit envious! :D

Hi and thanks for the posts..

I have found Martyns video collection on Youtube very useful and it is a shame that I can't down load them and take with me.

Still we live in hope.

Hi RiverHamble

I think these will be of interest to you:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6747

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...ost&p=61361

Thanks ;)

Leo