Which Model Lachenal?

Pete Dickey

I was fortunate to come across this concertina a few weeks ago from a chap who had it stored in his garage. It was bought and played by his Grandad many years ago and has been lying around largely untouched ever since.

post-53-1126135975_thumb.jpg

Serial number is 167167 and it is in old pitch but also Bb/F. It plays very well considering it has hardly been touched for so long.

What I was wondering and perhaps Stephen can help is - was this not one of Lachenal's top-end models? The name Peerless seems to stick in my mind. Perhaps you can put me out of my misery.

Thanks

Pete

(modified to re-add photo)

Edited by Pete Dickey

What I was wondering and perhaps Stephen can help is - was this not one of Lachenal's top-end models? The name Peerless seems to stick in my mind. Perhaps you can put me out of my misery.

Pete,

"The Peerless" was a trade mark of John G. Murdoch & Co. Ltd., a firm with a nation-wide chain of shops, and who sold musical instruments wholesale, for whom Lachenal's built concertinas.

There was some discussion about them in this thread, and yours is the metal-ended version of the ebony-ended Peerless, and my "Unique Anglo German", described in that thread. It should be a nice instrument.

Cheers,

(Edited after seeing photo.)

Edited by Stephen Chambers