Jeffries?

Larryo

Hi, I have been asked about a concertina by a friend who has a chance to buy and seeing I know very little about older concertinas, I thought I would ask the people here.My friend has described as "It has C Jefferies maker stamped on the wood on the top right hand side. It is C/G, 31 Bone buttons, there is a LOW C button on the top

left hand side - almost corresponding with air button on right hand side. Its wooden

ends, kinda winey/ reddish wood" I am also told that it comes comes apparently with a tin case, apparently like a milk churn?I have asked for photos and they are being forwarded, but in the meantime, can anyone shed any light on this instrument? Thank you

Edited by Larryo

It's possible it could be an early Jeffries with rosewood ends, though they're extremely rare with 31 keys (including a drone C) - they'd more usually have only 26. But the original cases for those were usually mahogany - though "termite-proof" tin cases (or outer cases) were sometimes used in the Tropics.

Not much more you can say, without photos. :unsure:

Yes, Stephen, the termite aspect was mentioned as was India.I think the seller is genuine and that the instrument is one of those passed down through families and not recently played.However when I get photos I will be back.Is there a serial number issue with Jeffries?

Is there a serial number issue with Jeffries?

Only if it's got one, in which case it's a fake... :rolleyes:

(But there's likely to be a two-digit "batch number.")

So my Jeffries, with the number 79L and 79R (on the bellows) and 79 on both the reed pans - do these denote a batch then? I've often wondered

• 3 weeks later...
... when I get photos I will be back.

pics.gif

I have a 20 key brazillian rosewood Jeffries. Does anyone know what sort of era we'd be talking for these type of boxes?

They can be as early as the mid-1870s.

So my Jeffries, with the number 79L and 79R (on the bellows) and 79 on both the reed pans - do these denote a batch then? I've often wondered

Not a batch, but a number within a batch. You'd need such numbers in a workshop situation, to identify the parts of a particular instrument.