Looking for an English for song accompaniment

jon melville

I'm on the lookout for an English concertina. I already have a mint Wheatstone 48 with metal ends, which is great for tunes but a bit strident for song.

So.... a wooden-ended Wheatstone or other, must be steel reeds and pristine condition..... any out there for sale?

Anyone have any opinions on the Marcus or Morse ones the Music Room sells?

What about, say, a 56-button tenor-treble? Do they have the same notes in the same places (so I don't have to re-learn everything) with just a couple of extra low rows underneath, or are they different? Again, that could be useful for singing to.

All comments gratefully received.

I notice that there are a couple of tenors (48 key) on the Concertina Connection vintage instrument page.

A tenor-treble will have one row of buttons below the usual treble buttons. As long as you start on the right row the fingering will be the same as a treble, but another fifth will be available below. It's easy to switch between different EC's be they treble, baritone, or tenor-treble.

I'm not a singer, so I'm not experiences with what accompanies voice well, but I don't think I'd rule out brass reeds. They can be quite sweet.

Edited by Larry Stout

I notice that there are a couple of tenors (48 key) on the Concertina Connection vintage instrument page.

A tenor-treble will have one row of buttons below the usual treble buttons. As long as you start on the right row the fingering will be the same as a treble, but another fifth will be available below. It's easy to switch between different EC's be they treble, baritone, or tenor-treble.

I'm not a singer, so I'm not experiences with what accompanies voie well, but I don't think I'd rule out brass reeds. They can be quite sweet.

The Button Box also has a number of instruments available, including a tenor/treble, a wooden-ended Wheatstone, and a brass-reeded Lachenal.