Edinburgh & the Lothians groups

Scotty

I apologise if I'm in the wrong place for posting this question.

I was wondering if there was anything concertina-ish in Edinburgh & the Lothians. I was hoping to find a Concertina group for helping me to learn the concertina better-or maybe just a meeting of concertina players-as I know no others!

I'd be delighted to hear of any such info.

-Scotty

I was wondering if there was anything concertina-ish in Edinburgh & the Lothians. I was hoping to find a Concertina group for helping me to learn the concertina better-or maybe just a meeting of concertina players-as I know no others!

-Scotty

No, there's no specific concertina group in or around Edinburgh. :(

You might find the occasional player at a session along with other instruments, but I can't recommend any place in particular.

-Scotty

No, there's no specific concertina group in or around Edinburgh. :(

You might find the occasional player at a session along with other instruments, but I can't recommend any place in particular.

• 4 weeks later...

-Scotty

I have just come across this site in my endeavours to find something about concertina tuition myself -- I am situated to the south and east of edinburgh -- I have not purchased a concertina as yet not being able to find anyone to advise me on what a beginner should buy or of any tutors to hand.

I am trying to find out from someone down south what direction to take always hopeful and will get back to you should anything come of it.

ghenry :rolleyes:

-Scotty

Scotty, ghenry fear not, there are actually quite a few Concertina players north of the Border.

Many of them based in the Edinburgh & Lothians area, as you will see from this list of:

Players of the English Concertina, based in Scotland! ;)

I'm afraid there are not nearly so many Anglo players in Scotland

You can learn a little more about Concertina players in Scotland, by visiting the Concertinas in Scotland ~ Forum

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

I have just come across this site in my endeavours to find something about concertina tuition myself -- I am situated to the south and east of edinburgh -- I have not purchased a concertina as yet not being able to find anyone to advise me on what a beginner should buy or of any tutors to hand.

I am trying to find out from someone down south what direction to take always hopeful and will get back to you should anything come of it.

ghenry

First piece of advice is the type of concertina.

The main types are Anglo and English.

If you want to play Scottish music, I would recommend an English concertina. This has always been the main type used by Scottish players.

You have greater flexibility as to key, because Scottish tunes range in key from A (three sharps) to Bb (two flats), with every key inbetween (and a few odd tunes outside that range).

Whatever you do, don't go far a cheap 20 button Anglo. You are restricted to two keys (usually C and G), and you will find dire warnings about quality elsewhere on this forum.

A 30 button Anglo gives you more keys, but playing in the other keys requires more effort, whereas the English system, being fully chromatic and more logical, makes playing in another key easier (not exactly simple, but if you grasp the logic of the layout it's quite straightforward).

Secondly, new or old.

You are more likely to find new than old concertinas within a beginners price range, but the range is more limited on the English.

For a new beginners English concertina, have a look at the Jackie model Here.

The Jackie model differs from a standard model in that the top octave is missing, but very few tunes go up that high, and some of the duplicated sharps and flats are missing, but this should be less of a problem in standard keys.