Button gone quiet

I've just noticed that one of my buttons sounds on the push but not on the pull. Before I start unscrewing things, would anyone like to suggest what the cause of this is most likely to be?

Does a duet have separate reeds for push and pull on the same button? I hadn't really thought about this before.

Richard

Does a duet have separate reeds for push and pull on the same button? I hadn't really thought about this before.

Richard

Yes.

Probably a foreign object jammed in the reed in my experience.

Richard

Yes.

Dirge - thanks for your response. I found my copy of David Elliott's Maintenance Manual and slid a bit of paper under the reed tongue. No obvious foreign bodies, but it's working now!

Phew.

Richard

Richard

Yes.

Dirge - thanks for your response. I found my copy of David Elliott's Maintenance Manual and slid a bit of paper under the reed tongue. No obvious foreign bodies, but it's working now!

Phew.

Richard

Well done! It's bit nervewracking at first, pulling the 'box apart, isn't it? After a bit you begin to realise that they are quite tough really.

• 2 weeks later...

Richard

Yes.

Phew.

Richard

Well done! It's bit nervewracking at first, pulling the 'box apart, isn't it? After a bit you begin to realise that they are quite tough really.

i was always terrified to take my first box apart. then i saw how much people are willing to take them apart! almost eager...

i was at noel hill's camp for the first time, and after one of the concerts, noel and several other people kept popping open concertinas just to have a look see. after that i have viewed it as a casual thing. any time anyone ever shows any interest in how it works, i pop mine open and show them. people always freak out, like it's going to break. i havent lost a screw yet (although i did lose a screwdriver bit). one time i was fixing my concrtina on a train, and a kid my age was sitting across from me and just about died. turned out that he had been wanting to learn the concertina for a long time.