The Triplet?

Ptarmigan

It is rather difficult for me to unlearn years of good manners and refer to someone as Ratface but I assume this monicker is self chosen so here goes: thanks Ratface for your description of triplets. I'm a long way off such twiddly bits but I shall keep your advice for when I feel adventurous enough to give them a go.

Ian

It is rather difficult for me to unlearn years of good manners and refer to someone as Ratface but I assume this monicker is self chosen so here goes: thanks Ratface for your description of triplets. I'm a long way off such twiddly bits but I shall keep your advice for when I feel adventurous enough to give them a go.

Ian

Hey Hereward, there's no time like the present. :P

I'd say the sooner you start practicing these dudes, the sooner you'll be able to rattle them off with ease! ;)

I'll race you ................. :lol:

Cheers

Dick

Hey Hereward, there's no time like the present. :P

I'd say the sooner you start practicing these dudes, the sooner you'll be able to rattle them off with ease! ;)

I'll race you ................. :lol:

Cheers

Dick

You've got a substantial headstart but I'm a sucker for punishment...

Ian

I asked Simon Thoumire about this in a workshop a few years ago and he does them using the finger for the key, then the next finger, then back to the original finger. I think. From memory. That's the way I learnt to do them, and after I learnt to do them I overused them for a while. Now I very rarely use them and prefer to use other tricks like slap rolls and variants thereof, or triplets that aren't on the same note. Same-note triplets are no more difficult on the English than the Anglo really (I've tried them on both). The fact that the keys are closer together isn't really an issue I don't think. I have slim fingers though :P

Hello everyone, by the way, never posted here before, only lurked...

Thanks folks, your suggestions have certainly given me a few options to try.

I suppose now I'll have to master them all, ... Mmmmm but then what'll I do after lunch today! :lol:

Nice to see you have come out of hiding too, Dow.

By the way, how do you pronounce your nickname?

Is it like the Bow in Bow & Arrow, or like bough in the bough of a tree?

.... or like Homer Simpson's Doh! ;)

Cheers

Dick

Thanks folks, your suggestions have certainly given me a few options to try.

I suppose now I'll have to master them all, ... Mmmmm but then what'll I do after lunch today! :lol:

Nice to see you have come out of hiding too, Dow.

By the way, how do you pronounce your nickname?

Is it like the Bow in Bow & Arrow, or like bough in the bough of a tree?

.... or like Homer Simpson's Doh! ;)

Cheers

Dick

Hi Ptarmy, it's pronounced as in bough of a tree :lol:

I feel liberated from thesession.org - it's nice and cheery over here, isn't it? Will take me a bit of time to get used to all the bits and bobs like quoting and using emoticons and stuff. I might end up coming across as a bit staid and avatarless for a while. It's nice being able to do a cyberblink, for example :blink: all this time I've had sore, watery eyes looking at that strange yellow colour. Heh.

Back to the triplets: I think I read somewhere that ST uses only his index and middle finger most of the time, even when he's playing on the accidental row, so presumably his fingering is always either 1-2-1 or 2-1-2 for same-note triplets. I've always used my ring finger for the outer accidental row where your F#s are, so when I'm doing a triplet there I'd finger it 3-2-3 where "3" is the ring finger. That's not easy to do, and anyway I'm not overly fussed about the end effect. I really like getting a faster triplet using a bellows crunch on the low F#, or sometimes I like to do some sort of short roll involving the E below it when there are anglo players around, just to annoy them because that's a weak spot for them in terms of flexibility with push and pull :P

Edited by Dow

Hi Ptarmy, it's pronounced as in bough of a tree :lol:

Ah Ha, now I know.

I feel liberated from thesession.org - it's nice and cheery over here, isn't it? Will take me a bit of time to get used to all the bits and bobs like quoting and using emoticons and stuff. I might end up coming across as a bit staid and avatarless for a while. It's nice being able to do a cyberblink, for example :blink: all this time I've had sore, watery eyes looking at that strange yellow colour. Heh.

Yeah, funny thing Dow, everyone's actually on the same side over here. ;)

Mind you, we can always arrange for some ORANGE, if you start to miss it! :lol:

Back to the triplets: I think I read somewhere that ST uses only his index and middle finger most of the time, even when he's playing on the accidental row, so presumably his fingering is always either 1-2-1 or 2-1-2 for same-note triplets. I've always used my ring finger for the outer accidental row where your F#s are, so when I'm doing a triplet there I'd finger it 3-2-3 where "3" is the ring finger. That's not easy to do, and anyway I'm not overly fussed about the end effect. I really like getting a faster triplet using a bellows crunch on the low F#, or sometimes I like to do some sort of short roll involving the E below it when there are anglo players around, just to annoy them because that's a weak spot for them in terms of flexibility with push and pull :P

Yeah it's those same note triplets I'm trying to tame right now.

I'm having enough trouble with the Credit Crunch right now, so I think I'll steer well clear of your Bellows Crunch for a while yet! :lol:

I just wish I'd come to the English earlier ... so much to learn , so little time! :(

Cheers

Dick

Now I . . . prefer to use other tricks like slap rolls . . .

I have a request. Will someone, please, find a way to get a video of a "slap roll" and put it on you-tube or something?

I've read the descriptions. I've tried it and have even stumbled into success, on rare occasions, so I know it's possible, but there's just nothing like seeing it done.

If the video's already out there, of course, a link would be fine.

The few concertina players I know in this area don't use slap rolls, so I can't see one in person.

I asked Simon Thoumire about this in a workshop a few years ago and he does them using the finger for the key, then the next finger, then back to the original finger. I think. From memory. That's the way I learnt to do them, and after I learnt to do them I overused them for a while. Now I very rarely use them and prefer to use other tricks like slap rolls and variants thereof, or triplets that aren't on the same note. Same-note triplets are no more difficult on the English than the Anglo really (I've tried them on both). The fact that the keys are closer together isn't really an issue I don't think. I have slim fingers though :P

Hello everyone, by the way, never posted here before, only lurked...

Hi Dow and welcome , As a lurker who can never get it to work and let me in, I've enjoyed your stuff on The Session

I think it's worth pointing out that the basic technique - using different fingers to play the same note in quick succession - can be used in slow tunes as well as fast, since it's mostly a matter of gaining control.