Morse Geordie

Hi, Richard,

I am so interested in hearing more about the Geordie, but I figured that I would ask in a separate thread from the Hayden one.

Will this be a 48 key? When is production for consumers starting (estimate is fine)? About what level would the price point be?

By the way, if I really, really, really wanted red felt bushings and natural cherry ends, would that be doable?

Thanks,

D L

Will this be a 48 key?

No, it's a 45-key (plus air button). The top note is the high D (3 octaves above MC) and the lowest note is the tenor C (the C one octave below MC). That makes it a "tenor" model which traditionally would be of 48 keys but we left out the three highest notes as very few people ever use them and because that's all the reeds we could fit inside that size of box.

We *could* get a few more in there but we've made the internal design for concertina tone enhancement and "optimized" (accordion) reeds. This will let us make a baritone and cello model with this same 7" format (with folded chambers!) and full-sized reeds (which will make for crisper low response and more powerful sound).

When is production for consumers starting (estimate is fine)?

We're thinking this February.

About what level would the price point be?

We're working on that now as we estimate the time and costs of the various parts.

By the way, if I really, really, really wanted red felt bushings and natural cherry ends, would that be doable?

Certainly doable, but whether we will or not is the question. We keep our costs (and your price!) down by having few options. Right now we've settled on figured walnut ends with ebony binding as that would give the Geordie a marked visual (and upscale) difference from our Albion and Ceili concertinas. Due to the ebony inserts the ends will be made up of (4) 1/32" plies. Thick plies are very difficult to get and are usually available only on large custom orders, so making up a single Geordie in cherry would be onerous to us (or wicked expensive to you if we passed on the costs). Our Albion and Ceili models are made of (3) 1/18" plies so using that wood won't "work" (unless we forgo the ebony binding?).

I'm not going to say that cherry Geordies won't happen, but I'd say the possibility is remote. Sorry!

-- Rich --