John Stone's Chronicles, Continued...

Lord have mercy it's hot here in Massachusetts, but off I go to my session at John Stones. Too bleepin' hot to make music, but music was made. Our DavidFR stopped in as promised. Fine fellow and a fine concertinist.

He had in tow a Lachenal G/D from Paul Groff with the non-equal temperament. Excellent box indeed. Sweet sound (that of course could blow small dogs into the next room were David a mind). Some of the session mates had never heard a honker before. I enjoyed watching their faces as he got going.

Hope David will come back. They promise the AC will be fixed by next week. Fine time for it to go out. At one point I wasn't hot anymore and feared a stroke comming on and just realized the music making fixes everything, even heat stroke. Nice to be back in my AC pumpin' cottage. The Bulldog was up on my bed on his back in front of the frosty AC. Think I'll join him.

David, thanks again for coming and braving the heat. You played very well indeed. Good Man!

Edited by Mark Evans

Lord have mercy it's hot here in Massachusetts, but off I go to my session at John Stones. Too bleepin' hot to make music, but music was made. Our DavidFR stopped in as promised. Fine fellow and a fine concertinist.

He had in tow a Lachenal G/D from Paul Groff with the non-equal temperament. Excellent box indeed. Sweet sound (that of course could blow small dogs into the next room were David a mind). Some of the session mates had never heard a honker before. I enjoyed watching their faces as he got going.

Hope David will come back. They promise the AC will be fixed by next week. Fine time for it to go out. At one point I wasn't hot anymore and feared a stroke comming on and just realized the music making fixes everything, even heat stroke. Nice to be back in my AC pumpin' cottage. The Bulldog was up on my bed on his back in front of the frosty AC. Think I'll join him.

David, thanks again for coming and braving the heat. You played very well indeed. Good Man!

My thanks to Mark for his generous hospitality and invitation to the session. Imagine my suprise when I found one of my old physics teachers and her son were regulars! Everyone was very inviting and even let me play a few tunes that no one else knew. Mark regaled us with two or three lovely songs and lovely playing on his Morse Albion. In particular I was impressed by his chordal accompaniment - I hadn't heard that done before in that way on an English.

I appreciate Mark's compliments even if I think they are a little unfounded as relates to my playing; I don't really know all that many tunes or fancy ornamentations but that will come in time. I also just moved from a 20-button C/G to this 30-button G/D, so it will take me a while to get the hang of my accidentals and alternate fingerings, not to mention working out playing in different keys. It's my second "super Lachenal" from Paul Groff, and he always does great work - it's a real loss that he's leaving the concertina-restoration business. Unequal temper tuning is a little anachronistic, but playing the concertina is a little anachronistic, and intellectually I like the idea of D# and Eb not being the same.

I certainly had a very good time and will go again, and would recommend it to others in the area. The atmosphere was welcoming, encouraging and warm, full of talented players, and the tempo while up did not race along at breakneck speed. Speaking of warm atmosphere, the temperature was OBSCENE. I really hope they fix the air conditioner, though to be fair we are in the middle of a terrible heat wave. 92 degrees in Boston around 8:30pm. And it will only be worse today. Thankfully the pub had irish cider on hand with which to quench my thirst!

Thanks again Mark for your invitation and hospitality!

Speaking of warm atmosphere, the temperature was OBSCENE. I really hope they fix the air conditioner, though to be fair we are in the middle of a terrible heat wave. 92 degrees in Boston around 8:30pm. And it will only be worse today.

There is a bluegrass jam there tonight. Gonna' be real hot! Serves em' right. Perhaps the sweltering heat will encourage a few gospel numbers about gettin' their religion right before meeting their maker. I'm sorry folks, that just ain't nice is it...

You acquitted yourself very well indeed. I really enjoyed holding that Lachnal. It was more than a little frustrating to have in my hands an instrument that has been restored with such care and craft and not have the skills set to play it. I hope Paul will continue to keep his hand in restoration on some level for in my never to be humble opinion he is a truely gifted craftsman and based on the all too short cut on our music page a fantastic player.

Edited by Mark Evans

• 1 year later...

Well, who should show up at John Stone's last night but our DavidFR. He had with him the Wakker anglo presently on tour. It was so nice to see David again and hear the Wakker. I held it and boy oh boy is it a beautifully made instrument. Having no ability on an anglo I could but wonder at it's classy feel and fine finish.

Twas' an active night at Stone's with a goodly complement: pipes/Pelham, two fiddles/Jim & Connie, banjo/Brian, hammered dulcimer/Sally, accordion/Eammon, bouzouki/George, guitar/Greg and me bringing up the rear on EC. At the time of David's late arrival we had already achieved critical mass and things were cranking along at a rather intense pace. David slipped in with discretion and it was nice to hear the Wakker has an ability to make nice with others as he dipped in and out of the musical waters. After an appropriate time David came to the fore with a set, and let the Wakker howl. Even the pipes could not overwhelm the instrument. David aquitted himself well and there were stunned looks on a few faces at the raw tooth busting volume the Wakker can sustain.

As usual the music circle heals all and I left later than I should washed in the waters of musical comarada with nothing left under the hood but contentment.

Come again David.

Lovely, Mark! Wish I could get down there sometime!

Well it certainly would be nice if it worked out one day. They would love you. I'd wager a nice pint o' Smithwick's that you'd have them all singing is short order.

Our wunderkind Greg Bacon has started recording members of the session. He's just put up on his site our Sally singing and accompanying herself on hammered dulcimer. Sho' nuff' is pretty, but like pullining teeth to get her to sing more than once in a blue moon. Hope this link works...

http://www.baconworks.com/index.php?tag=hammerd-dulcimer