Midlands Concertina Group meeting report

Midlands Concertina Group met today in Arnold, Nottingham (UK).  We meet twice a year.

This time, there were 22 present, 20 of whom played.

Instruments ranged from a bass Anglo with a bottom note so low I could feel it in your fingertips when I played it, but not actually hear it, down to my little Marcus Traveller 21 button Anglo.  There were plenty of Anglos from 20 buttons upwards, English concertinas, and 3 different duets: a Hayden, a Crane, and a Jeffries.  So, setting aside details like the number of buttons, there were 5 different systems of concertina there.

Most people played solo, with some inviting the rest to join in if they wanted.  There was one duo with some rehearsed arrangements, and our regular in house trio, Behind the Times.  Not, as I once called them "Out of Time". Oops.

Music played ranged from Irish jigs and hornpipes played as a single fluid line of melody, Northumbrian and Scottish tunes, Morris tunes played in both "melody only" and "harmonic" styles, some eastern European and Russian tunes, some French and Belgian music, and various "popular" tunes.  One of those present even sang as he played.

Before and after the interval, we worked together on some simple ensemble work.

We now have a Facebook page: Midlands Concertina Group.  Look us up and follow us, please.

The group is very informal, with no constitution, committee, or any of that stuff.  We meet twice a year in or near Nottingham.  We have a short newsletter circulated by email or post, whichever you prefer.  Anyone interested in concertinas is welcome, whether or not they play.  

• Like 1