Bass Concertina

Hello,

Does anyone know of bass concertinas that aren't super expensive?

I am looking for an English style, preferably with a note that starts in the octave of C1, or at least at C2 exactly.

I emailed Andrew Norman in the UK, but his start at $5,000. Worst case, I will buy a regular English to learn the notes on and then eventually buy a bass from him.

Also, I am learning the C system on a button accordion; are any concertinas made with a copied layout?

18 hours ago, Yakov said:

... I am learning the C system on a button accordion; are any concertinas made with a copied layout?

The only one I know of (that is still available to order) is the Geuns hybrid Bandoneon, though some might argue that (with the location of the buttons) it isn't really a concertina, and only the expensive Professional model is available these days - when there used to be a cheaper model available that was built in China.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

13 hours ago, Stephen Chambers said:

The only one I know of (that is still available to order) is the Geuns hybrid Bandoneon, though some might argue that (with the location of the buttons) it isn't really a concertina, and only the expensive Professional model is available these days - when there used to be a cheaper model available that was built in China.

Edited to add video

There have been other models with C-system fingering though, and with the buttons in a more normal position on the ends of the instruments.

The so-called Chromatic Bandoneon designed by Charles Péguri in 1925/6 (when Tango was all the rage) was made by Arnold in the bodies of his 142-note ("Tango") Bandoneons, whilst more-recently Uwe Hartenhauer in Klingenthal was involved in making these ones there:

bandoneon.jpg

There's an interesting discussion in this thread from 2015: Hybrid Bandoneon Review Anyone?

Edited by Stephen Chambers

So the one posted in the video; it still only goes down to E2...

I think I would be okay with a bandoneon as well, just as long as it is a light, handheld instrument that can lead bass lines with some amplification.

Hello Yakov,

if You are living in continental europe I have two instruments for sale that might interest You:

Schönherr und Matthes "Prakatikal" Bandoneon (C system 4 rows). Built in  1930, restored by R. Wallschläger.

Crabb Bass concertina single action. Built in 1975, restored by David Leese.

If You like further informations or photos just contact me.

Nils

8 hours ago, Yakov said:

So the one posted in the video; it still only goes down to E2...

I think I would be okay with a bandoneon as well, just as long as it is a light, handheld instrument that can lead bass lines with some amplification.

The one in that video is the Basic Model and, as such, it has a more-limited range of 62 keys, whilst the Professional Model has a larger one of 78 keys down to the bottom A# of the piano.