Chords For G/d Anglo

Brenda

None of the knowledgeable heavyweights are jumping in, so I'll take a stab at answering your post. I suspect there is no direct source for G/D system chords; I've never seen one, but I've never seen, for example, the well-regarded Edgley book. What you will probably need to do is transpose a C/G diagram to G/D. Some books, such as Mick Bramich's "The Irish Concertina" have some diagrams, which you can copy and alter.

Alternatively, the John Kirkpatrick diagrams are hosted by c.netter Howard Mitchell at this site, in an article called "How to play chords on the Anglo". Click to download the charts, unzip them, then alter them with the digital or pre-digital method of your choice, i.e, change all C's to G, all D's to A, etc. See the attached figure for an example of the Kirkpatrick pulled D chord. This position would be a pulled A on yours.

Be careful that your buttons are in the analogous positions to the diagrams. Since the Kirkpatrick diagrams are all in the LH, unlike Bramich's, I believe you will need worry only about the accidental row and the first button on the G row, which is D on the draw in the Kirkpatrick diagrams, but A on mine.

Personally, I've never liked the idea of that third d2. The draw A is one of the most important keys I use when adding harmony. I sometimes wish I had the D an octave down, but not another one at that pitch. You can see by inspection of the diagrams, though, that this allows you to play a full D chord on the draw on consecutive buttons, so obviously that's why it's there, as well as maintaining consistency with the fingering of the Dm chord on the C row.

If you aren't playing Anglo chords yet, note that many of them are facilitated by flattening a finger to cover two keys on adjacent rows. For example, that D chord I can't play with a draw-A on the G row, I play by playing the middle keys of the G and C rows with one finger (and the F# with another). To reiterate, this same position would be an A chord on a G/D concertina.

post-11-1095187403.gif