help for a newbie

tubatino

Hi all,

I am currently looking to start playing concertina as a way to further connect with my irish heritage, the problem I'm having is that I don't know any teachers! I live in Sacramento, California. If anyone could recommended some teachers in the area I would really appreciate it.

Also,

As of right now I do not own a concertina. What brands would be recommended for a beginner? As far as prior musical ability I have played low brass (mostly tuba) for several years, and also play bagpipes. I just want to invest my money into an instrument that Ican play for years to come; not something that would be an embarrassment to play around other players.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob

Hi all,

I am currently looking to start playing concertina as a way to further connect with my irish heritage, the problem I'm having is that I don't know any teachers! I live in Sacramento, California. If anyone could recommended some teachers in the area I would really appreciate it.

Also,

As of right now I do not own a concertina. What brands would be recommended for a beginner? As far as prior musical ability I have played low brass (mostly tuba) for several years, and also play bagpipes. I just want to invest my money into an instrument that Ican play for years to come; not something that would be an embarrassment to play around other players.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob

Loads of tips (hundreds of entries), some at great length, scattered around this forum - start searching where you are now in teaching and learning, then in buy and sell using words like newbie, beginner, first concertina, best starter etc. :)

Rob,

I've sent you a pm (personal message. You can access it by clicking on your cnet profile in the upper right)

I do not know of any players/teachers in the Sacramento area but Daniel Hersh in the Bay area hosts a local gathering every 3-4 months. Daniel is very knowledgable and helpful so I'd recommend you get in touch and see if he can help.

Greg

PS Welcome to concertina.net and the concertina adventure. Squeeze on!

Rob,

I've sent you a pm (personal message. You can access it by clicking on your cnet profile in the upper right)

I do not know of any players/teachers in the Sacramento area but Daniel Hersh in the Bay area hosts a local gathering every 3-4 months. Daniel is very knowledgable and helpful so I'd recommend you get in touch and see if he can help.

Greg

PS Welcome to concertina.net and the concertina adventure. Squeeze on!

Rob,

Greg is a great guy and has a tremendous selection of repaired vintage concertinas. I was going thru the same search as you a couple of months ago and he really helped me out with a lovely instrument. If you just want to get a feel for what a concertina is like you may want to try the Rochelle that is listed elsewhere on this site for sale. Most will agree it is a good starter instrument, and at the listed price I don't think yo can go wrong.

Good luck.