Reconstruction

Warcorrespondent

I'd like the advice of anyone who has rebuilt or constructed from scratch an anglo concertina. Some time ago I bought a Borinwood 30 steel button, anglo concertina for around $200. Recession has hit but I'd still like to play. The concertina itself has decent leather bellows, accordion reeds (but actually sounds and responds like a concertina), however the problem is that the lever mechanism is complete nonsense, buttons slide out of place, stand proud and there's very little that can be done to rectify the situation (have tried - only made it worse). So on to my questions.

Lets assume that I can purchase rivetted action levers, with leather stoppers and appropriate buttons. (1) would it be possible to change the original lever and button mechanism to a riveted action one (this way I have a concertina that will perform with some accuracy and will allow me to play reasonably well - at least until the money starts rolling in again and I can afford a decent conker)? (2) has anyone done this before and would like to help? (3) would anyone like to act as a mentor for the process? and finally (4) is it worth doing in the first place (even as a learning experience)?

Many thanks in advance.

War.