Moscow Nights

Dirge

Here is my band's version of Moscow Nights. I play a Lachenal Baritone. My band is called the Lettuce Dance Band.

Moscow Nights

Works for me. It's fun.

Good choice of tempo incidentally...

As for me I keep trying to play it slower and falling asleep before the end. I think the problem is I don't hear it as a mournful lament, just a nice tune with, as Michelle suggested earlier, some luscious chords. Is this a variant of the 'It's the wrong speed to dance to ' vs 'Well I'm not playing for dancers, am I?' discussion?

Here is my band's version of Moscow Nights. I play a Lachenal Baritone. My band is called the Lettuce Dance Band.

Moscow Nights

Works for me. It's fun.

As for me I keep trying to play it slower and falling asleep before the end. I think the problem is I don't hear it as a mournful lament, just a nice tune with, as Michelle suggested earlier, some luscious chords. Is this a variant of the 'It's the wrong speed to dance to ' vs 'Well I'm not playing for dancers, am I?' discussion?

Interestin'!

Some lovely sounds - however... that massive funereal bass starter does turn it into a bit of a dirge as Dirge says. Dont mind a bit of 'sad' flashback tone when it recalls those summer nights (of youth??) under the silver moon but........it is meant to be lyrical, Jacques Brel style...

It's what tickles your fancy of course but remember this is a love song, a romantic serenade to his ladyfriend, arm in arm, looking out across the city from the woods on the Lenin Hills.

The tom tom element/effect is also great fun but I think this approach would score best with the Volga Boat Song.

• 1 month later...

Moscow Nights

Works for me. It's fun.

Interestin'!

Some lovely sounds - however... that massive funereal bass starter does turn it into a bit of a dirge as Dirge says. Dont mind a bit of 'sad' flashback tone when it recalls those summer nights (of youth??) under the silver moon but........it is meant to be lyrical, Jacques Brel style...

It's what tickles your fancy of course but remember this is a love song, a romantic serenade to his ladyfriend, arm in arm, looking out across the city from the woods on the Lenin Hills.

The tom tom element/effect is also great fun but I think this approach would score best with the Volga Boat Song.

And finally - an Easter prezzie for Dirge and a request for a fresh accompaniment!

Forgive the giggles at the end but it just shows it was specially sung for you!

Note the tempo (and the two singers have been churning this out off and on for nearly 40 years so I think they have it about right for what it is meant to be.. a times past love song.

Words in Russian and English (the latter could be better.....such as: Moscow nightS plural not singular)

Подмосковные вечера

Не слышны в саду даже шорохи,

Всё здесь замерло до утра.

Eсли б знали вы, как мне дороги

Подмосковные вечера.

Речка движется и не движется,

Вся из лунного серебра.

Песня слышится и не слышится

В эти тихие вечера.

Что ж бы, милая, смотришь искоса,

Низко голову наклоня?

Трудно высказать и не высказать

Всё, что на сердце у меня.

А рассвет уже всё заметнее.

Tак, пожалуйста, будь добра.

Не забудь и ты эти летние

Подмосковные вечера.

Moscow Nights

Stillness in the grove, not a rustling sound

Softly shines the moon clear and bright.

Dear, if you could know how I treasure so

The most beautiful Moscow night.

Dear, if you could know how I treasure so

The most beautiful Moscow night.

Lazily the brook, like a silv'ry stream

Ripples gently in the moonlight,

And a song afar fades as in a dream,

In the spell of this summer night. (2X)

Dearest, why so sad, why the downcast eyes,

And your lovely head bent so low?

Oh, It's hard to speak---and yet not to speak

Of the longing my heart does know. (2X)