Sea Shanties BBC4 seven days left online (from Aug 25)

Kautilya

Hi, what I can see, it's not viewable outside GB. I would love to see the programme. Is there anybody who could download the clip and let us foreigners watch it? Yes, I know, there are some regulations about viewing it outside GB, but anyway....

All the best from a stormy Sweden!

Gjert

I saw it last night for the second time - its a 60 minute programme, so a bit cumbersome for downloads.

Actually I found it rather disappointing tho I put up the link! .... and a bit thin to say the least on instrumental accompaniment....

For those like Gjert who find the "Continent is cut off by fog" you might find something interesting and Foxy here. Never used it myself ....but the wonders of the Web:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&as_q=proxy+watch+BBC+abroad&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

if that does not work search for foxy proxy.

Nice to see Joe Stead, up at Whitby, as one of Kimber's Men. Beard has changed colour, but he still looks larger than life.

[Maybe this is the tenuous concertina link, although I've no idea if the two Kimbers were related.]

http://www.joestead.com/Kimberbio.htm

For those in the UK with long memories, did anyone see Joe's "walk-on" appearances in "Last of the Summer Wine", back in the mid 1980s? I saw him in at least two episodes. For non-UK readers of this post, it's topical, since this long-running comedy series finishes, this Sunday, after 37 years.

Watched it last night.courtesy of iPlayer. I agree, it was a bit 'thin' and rather dumbed down in that they had to have a story of some guy searching the country for the material - cue for needless shots of him on the road, rather than a straight presentation. But there was some great singing.

It was also a bit disingenuous in that 'Shoals of Herrin'' is not traditional, but was written by Ewan McColl for one of the Radio Ballads, although it was presented as if it were a traditional song.

Here's one of his recordings of it:

(English concertina by Ewan's wife, Peggy Seager.)

Edited by John Adey

Watched it last night.courtesy of iPlayer. I agree, it was a bit 'thin' and rather dumbed down in that they had to have a story of some guy searching the country for the material - cue for needless shots of him on the road, rather than a straight presentation. But there was some great singing.

It was also a bit disingenuous in that 'Shoals of Herrin'' is not traditional, but was written by Ewan McColl for one of the Radio Ballads, although it was presented as if it were a traditional song.

Here's one of his recordings of it:

(English concertina by Ewan's wife, Peggy Seager.)

v nice. tks; and great Shenandoah from Peter T's link. Such a bass.

Edited by Kautilya