Sides and Models

MUTT

This morning I was outbid on a nice looking (but probably in need of restoration), metal ended, eight sided Wheatstone English concertina. That's okay; I knew I really didn't have the money to stay in the game, if it got serious, and of course it got serious. My question is in regards to its serial number, 28636. The Horniman Ledgers show this to be a model 22, yet there it was, with eight sides, and the seller calling it an Aeola, which I thought would have made it a model 17. The only other model 22 I've seen had 6 sides. So my question: is the only difference between a model 22 and an Aeola the number of sides, or am I incorrect, and the model 22 was always an Aeola? Or is it more complicated than that? (Yes you're right; that's three questions.)

For what it's worth, I would be happy to own either a 6 sided or 8 sided model 22. My wish list will just have to stand a bit longer, now.

Recent Ebay 22.pdf

This morning I was outbid on a nice looking (but probably in need of restoration), metal ended, eight sided Wheatstone English concertina. That's okay; I knew I really didn't have the money to stay in the game, if it got serious, and of course it got serious. My question is in regards to its serial number, 28636. The Horniman Ledgers show this to be a model 22, yet there it was, with eight sides, and the seller calling it an Aeola, which I thought would have made it a model 17. The only other model 22 I've seen had 6 sides. So my question: is the only difference between a model 22 and an Aeola the number of sides, or am I incorrect, and the model 22 was always an Aeola? Or is it more complicated than that? (Yes you're right; that's three questions.)

For what it's worth, I would be happy to own either a 6 sided or 8 sided model 22. My wish list will just have to stand a bit longer, now.

There was a strange duet discussed here a while ago that I nearly bought. It was an 81 key 6 sided aeola. It had the lozenge shape of a raised end model but was in the ledger as an aeola, and it definitely had the pukka long scale reeds. (I didn't buy it because it had delicate wood ends and I though that it would never survive the air travel; nice to play; the long side made it very stable on your knee)

Anyway, my conclusion was that the customer (Mr Cottage) asked for this combination and Wheatstone humoured him, so why not, in your case, aeola looks with 'cheap' reedwork? On that principle the seller would be wrong to call it an aeola, even though it looked like it.

Hi Mutt,

I'm not sure where you are reading the #22 from the ledgers. I'm seeing 17 in the LH margin and the slanted line includes all the serial #s to the right.

http://www.horniman.info/DKNSARC/SD01/PAGES/D1P1460S.HTM

I'll admit to some confusion in reading a 1920 price lists and seeing no mention of metal enders under a model 17 description. (Although the NP for nickel plate is in the center page ledger description)

http://www.concertina.com/pricelists/wheatstone-english/Wh-Pricelist-Eng-c1920.pdf

So let's add that question for the experts as well.

Greg

PS. After going back and looking more cadefully at the pricelist I believe the ebony description applies to the sides. At the bottom of the price list are options for nickel plated and amboyna ends. And I imagine shell could be ordered as well.

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Hi Mutt,

I'm not sure where you are reading the #22 from the ledgers. I'm seeing 17 in the LH margin and the slanted line includes all the serial #s to the right.

http://www.horniman.info/DKNSARC/SD01/PAGES/D1P1460S.HTM

I'll admit to some confusion in reading a 1920 price lists and seeing no mention of metal enders under a model 17 description. (Although the NP for nickel plate is in the center page ledger description)

http://www.concertina.com/pricelists/wheatstone-english/Wh-Pricelist-Eng-c1920.pdf

So let's add that question for the experts as well.

Greg

PS. After going back and looking more cadefully at the pricelist I believe the ebony description applies to the sides. At the bottom of the price list are options for nickel plated and amboyna ends. And I imagine shell could be ordered as well.

Yep, I was looking at the wrong page. The seller had supplied a link to the page below, and I followed suit, and made the same mistake the seller did, reading the wrong column. My world is right-side-up again!

28606.pdf