Jeffries Concertina For sale

Busman

Hi,

I have a Jeffries concertina for sale, it was my Father's been handed down the family and ended up with me, have no idea about it other than its a Jeffries, have enclosed some pics other than that i cant tell you much more other than its in all round good condition, except for one button that seems to do nothing, it comes in a leather box that has seen better days but as ive said the concertina is well preserved, have no idea of value so look forward to any help you could give me on tha, i have since found out that this is an anglo, does'nt mean much to me, but i'm sure it does to all on here

post-8298-12606132496576_thumb.jpg

post-8298-12606133351493_thumb.jpg

post-8298-12606134071967_thumb.jpg

post-8298-12606134693662_thumb.jpg

post-8298-12606135549113_thumb.jpg

Edited by Busman

Hello Busman,

How wonderful that your father's instrument is still in the family and that he "bought well" in purchasing a Jeffries. Like many on concertina.net I will first encourage you or perhaps a member of your family to take up this grand old Jeffries and learn to play. Cnet members can recommend a reputable repairperson in your area to put the instrument in top playing condition and suggest where to meet other concertina players to get started playing.

That said there is also the reality that the time to sell an instrument does occur. In your case you have quality name instrument: "Jeffries". Three things will affect its sale value: Type and desirability including key; 2. Condition; 3 Current market value.

1. Type means how the notes are played. An anglo will play different notes on the bellows push and draw. A duet has the same note in and out. Jeffries anglos are generally sold for more money than duets. C/G key anglos are currently worth more than other keys. 30 button instruments are considered ideal for the Irish market; 38b instruments are popular; 50b anglos less so but a good instrument still commands a good price.

2. Condition is an important factor in price. A general reconditioning of new pads, valves and minor odds and ends and a general set up might run 100-150 GBP. Many older instruments were not tuned to what we call modern standard pitch. A tuning to standard might cost 100-300 GBP depending on how far the instrument is from A=440.

Occasionally there can be problems with the bellows and pans which need to be addressed. From your pictures the instrument appears in very good external condition. A repairperson or knowlegable player or dealer can give you an opinion on the playing condition.

3.Current market value: Jeffries are desirable and valuable instruments, even in today's uncertain economic environment. Jeffries duets in good playing shape sell in the 1500-2000 GBP range. The number of Jeffries duet players is limited and it sometimes takes awhile to get that kind of price. Good playing 30b and 38b Jeffries in the key of C/G sell for 4000 GBP and up. Other keys 500-1000 less. An in tune and good playing condition 50b anglo might be in the 2500-3000 GBP range. All the above is one man's opinion and based on an in tune and good playing instrument. Necessary repairs and changing economic and market conditions need to be factored in.

I hope you or someone in your family learns to play the instrument, if not, good luck in your sale.

Greg

PS. Concertina.net is a great place to sell your instrument. The site creator. Paul Shwartz asks for a modest donation in the case of a sale, well worth the exposure, input and interest generated.

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

hello, Is the concertina still for sale?, if so please email me so we can confirm more details on the instrument, i.e duet , anglo, pitch etc. Reegards Mikae

Hi, cant tell you too much regarding pitch, have found out its an anglo, i did a test by inflating and compressing the bellows and pressing a key, the note changed and have been told it indicates it being an anglo, thats about as much as i can tell you on the playing aspect, its been in my family for a long time, it was my grandfathers fathers, given to my dad and has since been passed on to me, i can add more pics and can describe it more if you like, i have had several good offers so far, thats about it really, regards Larry

Hi,

I have a Jeffries concertina for sale, it was my Father's been handed down the family and ended up with me, have no idea about it other than its a Jeffries, have enclosed some pics other than that i cant tell you much more other than its in all round good condition, except for one button that seems to do nothing, it comes in a leather box that has seen better days but as ive said the concertina is well preserved, have no idea of value so look forward to any help you could give me on tha, i have since found out that this is an anglo, does'nt mean much to me, but i'm sure it does to all on here

Hi, I would like to know if the concertina is still for sale ?

Hi. Yes im still looking to sell, if i can answer any questions you have ill try, have no knowledge musicaly, but the condition is very good, and have since found out is an anglo if that helps

regards larry

Hi, I would like to know if the concertina is still for sale ?

Hi. Yes im still looking to sell, if i can answer any questions you have ill try, have no knowledge musicaly, but the condition is very good, and have since found out is an anglo if that helps

regards larry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Hello,

I am interresstd