18602 George Case After Repairs

My concertina has been at the spa in Kentucky for a month, getting two reed pan cracks filled, a few bellows hinges replaced, all new pads, a few new valves and a new set of gold-stamped thumb loops. Greg Jowaisas did the work. I sent him an 1860s George Case in pretty good working order and he sent me back an instrument VERY much improved in sound and ease of playing.

I started palying last June, borrowing a Staggi-like instrument from a friend, but graduated to this in August. Its maker's cartouch is missing, so placing the instrument with George Case is partly guesswork based on its likeness to C-257 at concertinamuseum.com, and to Jowaisas' knowledge of the mechanism and construction. The museum piece is listed with Keith, Prouse & Co., but notes indicate that Case was a frequent maker of their stuff. My instrument bears the serial number 1374.

I would recommend Jowaisas for any work on old or new instruments. He's a straight-shooter and has upgraded my instrument with great care and personal investment and the results are, I think, just terrific.

I'll try to get up the nerve to post a tune.

post-11452-0-42293000-1425736626_thumb.jpg