Playing Injured!

Aogan

I crashed my motorbike last week and broke my left collarbone and fractured my left wrist. Yet I can still play the concertina....

That's not a boast, or a tribute to some massive pain threshold with which I am gifted. (I'm not). I was pretty surprised to realise that playing was not the torture session I presumed it would be.

The wrist fracture is slight and it's below my little finger, so moving my little finger is a little bit sore, depending on the combination of notes, but perhaps more surprisingly, the collar bone break is relatively unaffected by the concertina playing action. I'm lucky it's the left side because when I'm playing I keep the left side of the concertina static, and my left arm tight into my body, in a similar position to the recommeded recovery position, and into which the standard sling places the arm anyway.

Actually, apart from the shaker, I don't think there are many other instruments that could be played with a broken collarbone!

:rolleyes:

Hee Aogan, isn't this the second time (that I know of) you crashed with your motorbike and broke something?! You should be more careful if not for your own sake, do it for ours (we do not want to miss your great playing!). I know it's a bit selfish... but wish you all the best and a quick recovery!

Hermann

I crashed my motorbike last week and broke my left collarbone and fractured my left wrist. Yet I can still play the concertina...

:rolleyes:

Hi, Aogan -

Sorry to hear it, good to hear that you got out (almost) whole. I gave up motorbiking a thousand years ago, when I started to think about what could happen to me :( and I wasn't thinking of collarbones...

Quick recovery!

/Henrik

Hee Aogan, isn't this the second time (that I know of) you crashed with your motorbike and broke something?! You should be more careful if not for your own sake, do it for ours (we do not want to miss your great playing!). I know it's a bit selfish... but wish you all the best and a quick recovery!

Hermann

Yeah, I broke both my wrists & a thumb in a few places off a motorbike 3 years ago. Concertina-ing was not an option that time :(. Thanks for the good wishes. I think I'll shelve the motorbiking for a while this time alright, though concertina is one of the handiest instruments to carry on a motorcycle!