26 Key Anglos

gavdav

Hi folks. I've recently come across a couple of 26 key boxes, which whilst obviously slightly restrictive were nonetheless excellent. Does anyone have any idea what are "fair" prices for these? One was a Jeffries, the other a Jones.

On another line, given that some 26 key boxes clearly use uncut endplates from 30 key instruments can they be extended? What, for example does a 26 key jeffries reedpan look like.

Idle curiosity.

cheers

Gav

This ebay listing shows what Chris Algar thinks they might be worth, so far no buyers have agreed!
well seeing as It is possible to play irish music on a 26 key,after all who use the top three buttons on the right hand side,the really squeaky ones.

I reckon 26 keys concertina[if it doesnt need any repair] at that price is worth it.verey soon people will be copping on to 26 keys and they will become a lot more expensive.

in fact if Ihad tthe money Iwould buy it myself

Not bad, but I'd expect a 30 key lachenal to not be much more in the mahogany configuration, whilst put off by the inordinately high price I was more tempted by this.

http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/produ...roducts_id/4219

Played it and loved it, but a lot of bread for a 26 key jones.

Well that Jones had all the bells and whistles for a 26b: Amboyna, gold tooling, smaller buttons typical of a "nicer" Jones, 6 fold bellows.

Both breathtakingly beautiful and expensive.

I have a mahogany end C/G 26b Jones for sale. Good player, airtight and in tune: $1200.

I believe cnet member David Levine (aka cocus flute) recently sold a wood end C/G Jeffries. It looked quite nice. Does anyone remember the price?

Greg

Well that Jones had all the bells and whistles for a 26b: Amboyna, gold tooling, smaller buttons typical of a "nicer" Jones, 6 fold bellows.

It is pretty, but I count only 5 bellows folds.

You are correct, Jeff. In that case I would demand a discount!!! ;)

(But get someone to help me count the difference in price! :blink:

Greg

Gavin,it's no coincidence that many top English style players use 38 key instruments..................also many aspiring players also prefer 38 keys.My experience and so my advice is to go for more keys not less.More equals more choice of how you play a tune.........and I'm talking here about more giving you more keys in the reverse bellows direction rather than more accidentals .

I'm thinking that a man of your great musical ability..............your new CD is wonderful !! .........will always be wanting to experiment with how a tune can be played and 28 keys is going will eventually limit you.

Robin

Gavin,it's no coincidence that many top English style players use 38 key instruments..................also many aspiring players also prefer 38 keys.My experience and so my advice is to go for more keys not less.More equals more choice of how you play a tune.........and I'm talking here about more giving you more keys in the reverse bellows direction rather than more accidentals .

I'm thinking that a man of your great musical ability..............your new CD is wonderful !! .........will always be wanting to experiment with how a tune can be played and 28 keys is going will eventually limit you.

Robin

<blush> well, thanks :)

I'm only really interested as Bb/F and Ab/Eb boxes are currently available in 26 key configs, which are lovely for singing for me, as well as the fact I can *afford* a 26 key Ab Jeffries, but not a 40 key one :)

Hello

I recently acquired a wonderfull semi miniature (5 1/4) 26 button Lachenal rosewood concertina and it is wonderful and fun to play. The only note I miss at present is the the push low A on the left side accidental row. I also miss the double C#. But I think learning other fingerings to get around those "limitations" gives you more tricks in your bag.

I am glad I have 30 button instruments to play but the 26 button could be a good place to start, or move up to from something else.

R

William Kimber, of Headington Morris, played a 2 row Anglo-German C/G for most of his life; ( Does anyone know what make?) . Even when the EFDSS gave him a 3 row C/G Jeffries in 1909 , when he was famous , he played it the same way. So you can achieve a lot on a manky old box!

I see nothing wrong with a 26 or even a 24 button concertina for Irish Music (Certainly Jacqueline McCarthy proves that beautiful Irish Music can be performed on a 24 button instrument). Granted you are going to have to adapt your playing style to the instrument, but I would think that would be more reflective of grace notes and the like as opposed to the melodies. As long as your extra 4 or 6 buttons have the right extra notes on them (i.e. at least one C# and G# so you can play in the keys of D and A) they are as well suited to Irish Music as any 30 button concertina.

--

Bill