Neck Straps

Hi

I've seen a number of queries regarding the fitting of neck straps to concertinas. I prefer to use a neck strap on my Lachenal. but rather than drill holes or otherwise alter my Lach I purchased 2 cheap luggage straps, about 2cm wide, the ones with pressed metal, toothed buckles. I cut them to 68cm approx and double hemmed the cut end (stops the end from pulling thru the buckle). If you double the non-buckle end -about 4/5cm and thread the doubled strap thru the buckle you create a loop. If you wrap the large loop, created by making the small loop, around the circumference of the concertina and pull it tight it will grip the concertina end. Do this at both ends. Thread a keyring thru the small loop and attach a strap-bootlace or a more sophisticated strap ie an old shoulder bag strap, belonging to wife/partner.

The explanation takes longer than actually making it. This system will fit any concertina without damaging it or putting strain on any one part, you just vary the strap length.

If I've done it correctly there should be a photoattached illustrating the above.

It works for me it may work for you

chris (well strapped both in concertinas and cash)

Hi

I've seen a number of queries regarding the fitting of neck straps to concertinas. I prefer to use a neck strap on my Lachenal. but rather than drill holes or otherwise alter my Lach I purchased 2 cheap luggage straps, about 2cm wide, the ones with pressed metal, toothed buckles. I cut them to 68cm approx and double hemmed the cut end (stops the end from pulling thru the buckle). If you double the non-buckle end -about 4/5cm and thread the doubled strap thru the buckle you create a loop. If you wrap the large loop, created by making the small loop, around the circumference of the concertina and pull it tight it will grip the concertina end. Do this at both ends. Thread a keyring thru the small loop and attach a strap-bootlace or a more sophisticated strap ie an old shoulder bag strap, belonging to wife/partner.

The explanation takes longer than actually making it. This system will fit any concertina without damaging it or putting strain on any one part, you just vary the strap length.

If I've done it correctly there should be a photoattached illustrating the above.

It works for me it may work for you

chris (well strapped both in concertinas and cash)

Well that should stop the Lachenal Escaiting

Hi

Just for anyone who didn't understand Oldnickilby's comment- the picture under my name is a Scates. I hope this doesn't start a series of puns but just in 'case' it does I'll get this one in first :rolleyes:

apun my word

chris

If you get your Scates on, you can play Lead concertina!
If you use the instrument to play a drone note on middle C (or the G above), would that be in-line Scating? :) :)

This "humour" is getting positively Scate-illogical!
:ph34r:

• 15 years later...