The Virtual (irish) Session

This isn't quite strictly concertina-related, but anyone who's interested in learning some Irish tunes or who wants to go to Irish tune sessions but doesn't have one nearby (or who can get there but feels too shy to join in) may want to check this out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/r2music/folk/sessions .

Daniel

Oh, that's really spoiled my day! It's the British Broadcasting Corporation - that's England, Scotland and Wales, for God's sake - but apart from two tunes labelled (rather condescendingly, because none of the others carry national identification) Scottish Jigs it's all bloody Irish! No wonder English traditional culture is struggling and Welsh has almost gone under. Yes, the Irish have great music, but so do the English, Scots and Welsh. Why are we so embarrassed about it?

Oh, I could weep. In fact, I think I will.

Chris

Why are we so embarrassed about it?

Because most of us have had a twee 'middle-class classical' version of it (and Welsh and Scottish) thrust upon us through our education system. Enough to put anybody off for life. But isn't it interesting how most of the younger folks that take up on it have parents or relations who participate in some way?

But isn't it interesting how most of the younger folks that take up on it have parents or relations who participate in some way?

I've had a theory about this for a while. It used to be widely suggested that interest in English folk music had lost a generation as kids rebelled against the interests of their parents. I think this is wrong. It was the following half-generation, as it were, the kids 5 or 10 years younger than my generation who rejected our music, basically on fashion grounds. Folk music went out of fashion along with prog rock, long hair and flaired jeans.

The real following generation have no such fashion hangups about folk music. Consequently they are more open minded to musical influences from, say, their parents. Hence you have Seth Lakeman, John Dipper, Eliza Carthy and quite a few others I can bring to mind. There's a goodly number, too, without direct parental influence who must have been just in the right place at the right time to hear some music with an open mind. It's precisely this generation that have made me more hopeful about the future of English music and song than I have been for a good few years. I just wish the Great and Good of the BBC and other cultural institutions would recongnise this, or at least not get in the way! Which brings me back to where I started and my particular cri du coeur.

Chris (still a bit red-eyed).

Oh, that's really spoiled my day! It's the British Broadcasting Corporation - that's England, Scotland and Wales, for God's sake - but apart from two tunes labelled (rather condescendingly, because none of the others carry national identification) Scottish Jigs it's all bloody Irish! No wonder English traditional culture is struggling and Welsh has almost gone under. Yes, the Irish have great music, but so do the English, Scots and Welsh. Why are we so embarrassed about it?

Chris

Maybe we should try to nag the Beeb into doing a second Virtual Session. The one in this thread came out quite a few years ago, in the first flush of the BBC going online - perhaps we could persuade them that it's getting a bit old now and needs refreshing, updating, improving etc.

Mike Harding who fronts the program and web pages has his own errr... idiosyncrases(sp?) but in general his programme does try to cover English Folk as well as the more obvious Celtic flavours. An English virtual session to the same standard (Iie at a steady play along rate) as the existing one would be a great resource

Chris

I'm a US citizen so I can't help you nag, but I think that would be a great idea.

Daniel

Chris

Maybe we should try to nag the Beeb into doing a second Virtual Session. The one in this thread came out quite a few years ago, in the first flush of the BBC going online - perhaps we could persuade them that it's getting a bit old now and needs refreshing, updating, improving etc.

Mike Harding who fronts the program and web pages has his own errr... idiosyncrases(sp?) but in general his programme does try to cover English Folk as well as the more obvious Celtic flavours. An English virtual session to the same standard (Iie at a steady play along rate) as the existing one would be a great resource

Chris

Didn't know that. Gut reaction: cracking idea, Gromit! Have to run.

TTFN

Chris

Didn't know that. Gut reaction: cracking idea, Gromit! Have to run.

TTFN

Chris

In this age of New Puritanism? With ethically cleansed food, ethically cleansed countryside, ethically cleansed pubs, ethically cleansed right to protest, etc,etc .. how can you object to ethically cleansed music?

And another idea (if I'm going to start campaigning <_< ) might be the Folkworks people up in Gateshead. A beginner session that I go to (Jubilee Concertinas) works with the "Folkworks Session Collection" as part of it's resources .... 3 books of tunes with accompanying CDs for earlearners and playing along. Maybe they could be persuaded to put this resource online (I think a lot of their work is grant aided - they're not out to make enormous profits but to spread the music). The tunebooks are a mix of English, Irish and Scottish (sorry no obvious Welsh tunes).

Chris

Nice site Chris. I really like that you publish a set list. It really give a newcommer a leg up.

I can't take any credit for the site (or workshops) but they have made a nice job of it. (Angie Bladen IS Jubilee, but I think I'm in one of the pictures somewhere ... not on concertina though).

Chris

Edited by spindizzy