Odd 20-button

Paul Read

I saw this one as well. After carefully comparing it to a Lachenal on E-bay I found the following:

1. the shaped edges (as you noted)

2. the pattern cuts on the ends seemed similar, but clearly worked in a different manner than the lachenal I compared it to.

3. the key positions seemed to differ slightly in the overall construction

Now, that being said, I'm not an expert and have not seen as many lachenal's as some on this site. But they were enough to make me wonder what this box really was.

Of course, now that I've made the comparisons I've just come across a Lachenal that DOES look similar:

look for item 7413704723

That's a different calibre of beastie. That is a rosewood-ended Lachenal. Significantly better quality than the mahogany ones in my experience.

This has some similarities in construction to a Schuster (German) made EC I worked on a couple of years ago. The grain of the timber, the shape of the screw heads, the detailing of the fretwork are all similar which makes me suspect that this one also might be a Schuster. The Schuster EC had "English type" steel reeds but of poor quality and it played about as well as the lowest grade of brass reeded Lachenal.

This has some similarities in construction to a Schuster (German) made EC I worked on a couple of years ago. The grain of the timber, the shape of the screw heads, the detailing of the fretwork are all similar which makes me suspect that this one also might be a Schuster. The Schuster EC had "English type" steel reeds but of poor quality and it played about as well as the lowest grade of brass reeded Lachenal.

Thanks Theo.