Interesting Postcard

Steven

I just came across this postcard on eBay showing a girl playing a concertina (looks like an Aeola), with another sitting on the table next to her. The interesting thing is that the one on the table looks an awful lot like the round Edeophone that was recently sold. As I recall, there were only two of those made, right? Can anyone else make out the picture better than I can?

:)

Steven

... the one on the table looks an awful lot like the round Edeophone that was recently sold.  As I recall, there were only two of those made, right?  Can anyone else make out the picture better than I can?

Steven,

I've manipulated the image on my computer, and as far as I can make out it is a regular 12-sided Edeophone on the table (I bet a round one would have rolled off faster than they could take the picture, 12-sided ones take a bit longer ;) ).

A Google search on Betty Aukland (the name of the girl in the picture) turned up no results....

I've mentioned her here before, though I see that I misspelled her surname :( :

I'm not as good as my parakeets, yet -- I make mistakes, they don't -- but, we're working on it.  :) ... Trees and birds and one weird lady with her concertina, that's about as pro as I'll get around here, I guess.

Wendy,

You reminded me of a lady who was a professional concertinist with a singing bird : Betty Auckland with "Little Tweet the Canary Caruso", I actually have a 78rpm record of the pair of them !

I just came across this postcard on eBay showing a girl playing a concertina (looks like an Aeola),...

It is.

...with another sitting on the table next to her.  The interesting thing is that the one on the table looks an awful lot like the round Edeophone that was recently sold.

Looks to me like a standard 12-sided Edeophone, with the image somewhat "blurred" by low resolution.

And the one on eBay was much larger... 9½" across.

As I recall, there were only two of those made, right?

Wrong.

The old Lark in the Morning ad in Concertina & Squeezebox that featured it said ten were made, but when I asked him, Mickey couldn't remember what his source was for that claim.

I seem to recall Niel Wayne told me six.

One is/was in Sydney, but the owner (now deceased) declined to sell it to me some years ago. It was apparently his uncle's, and it had sat for many years, un-cased, on the mantle-piece above the fireplace. (Yes, some houses in Sydney do have fireplaces!). How many times it had rolled off I hate to think. From memory it was in a pretty sorry state of repair.

It might re-surface sometime...

A Google search on Betty Aukland (the name of the girl in the picture) turned up no results....
I've mentioned her here before, though I see that I misspelled her surname :( :
You reminded me of a lady who was a professional concertinist with a singing bird : Betty Auckland with "Little Tweet the Canary Caruso", I actually have a 78rpm record of the pair of them !

And there is now another thread about Betty Aukland here, started by Peter Hurst, who has Betty's concertinas, and who wrote an article Sam & Betty Auckland and Little Tweet the Canary Caruso for Concertina & Squeezebox (Number 23, Summer 1990, pp. 5-9).