E Myers

Bill Crossland

I've just received a 26 key anglo for restoration, with a label reading "E Myers, Manufacturer, 27, Walworth Rd, London SE" - presumably before the Labour Party moved in.

For all intents and purposes, it's a Jones, with a rivetted action and broad steel reeds, numbered 13,508. Anyone come across this label before?

Even more strange, as received it's in B/F# - now what use is that to anyone?

Picture attached, with a bit of luck.

...it's in B/F# - now what use is that to anyone?
Does that mean it's really a Bb/F in high pitch?
Or a pretty flat (rusty reeds) C/G?

Or maybe tuned down to the pitch of an old timber framed piano?

I wouldn't expect the rusty-reeds explanation. Unlikely to account for a consistent ½-step drop throughout the instrument.

My sister has an old piano that needs to be kept tuned a half step low (to modern concert), or it won't stay in tune. And I have a "C-melody" saxophone, which is actually in B. Perhaps this was a standard among some musicians at some period? (Maybe more than one group at more than one time.) Then it could be considered "C/G" in some nonstandard "standard".

Or maybe that it was specially made for someone who wanted it in B/F#, for reasons we will never know?

Even more strange, the individual reeds are stamped as if it's in D/G, but when, for instance, the D is sounded it plays about 45 cents sharp of B. None of the reeds show any sign of being retuned, and they are all in pretty good condition - rust free.

Edited by Billcro

Even more strange, the individual reeds are stamped as if it's in D/G, but when, for instance, the D is sounded it plays about 45 cents sharp of B.

... A G/D anglo is normally a fourth lower than a C/G, so I might expect the reeds for each button to be somewhat larger (longer and broader?). That's speculation, but if it's the case it might be a deliberate attempt to get a louder or "fuller" sound.

... But if what would be the D of a G/D sounds about a quarter step sharp to B, then I would expect the G-equivalent to be sharp to E, not to F#. Which key is on the middle row, B or F#? (And what are the notes on the buttons in the 3rd row? On the end shown, the 3rd row is shifted rightward from the layout on a 26-button Lachenal I have.)

Thr reeds are bigger than a normal C/G, but then Jones reeds frequently are meatier!

First button middle row marked D, plays B, first on bottom row, marked G plays F#.

The accidentals are marked D#/D#, plays D/C, G/G#, plays F#/G, and A#/C#, plays A/C.

I think the best idea is to post or email a complete tuning diagram when I get the beast repadded etc, if any one is interested.

The buttons for the accidentals on the other end are not offset, more like the 26 key Lachenal design you have Jim.

Thanks for all the comments and help.

Bill

Bill,

Sorry, but I missed this first time around. On Myers, the first two items *may* be related, but the rest almost definitely are:

1843 Myers, John Frederick aeolophon and volti subito manufacturer, 83 Charlotte st. Fitzroy sq ???

1856 Edward Myers, Mount St,Whitechapel rd (Bankrupt concertina dealer!)???

1856 Myers, Emanuel 7A Crown Row,Walworth rd

1865 Myers E. 1 Black Prince row, Walw. rd S

1869 Myers Emanuel, 27 Walworth rd SE

1882 Myers Emanuel, 27 Walworth rd SE

1884 Myers Emanuel, 27 Walworth rd SE

Nice to know he was rebadging Jones!

Thanks ..wes