Poll: Tune Of The Month For June, 2013

Jim Besser

Tune of the Month for June, 2013  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just voted. It claims that 28 people have now voted in this poll, yet when I subsequently added up all the votes, they only came to 23 in total. Surely some mishtake?

FIve of them may have had a look prior to voting...

This was brought up before Chris. If you go in and don't actually cast a vote, it still includes you as having voted. I went in, had a look at the three tunes in question, didn't actually like any of them that much, so didn't vote for any of them ... in other words a vote of "abstention". So that would be one of the 5 in question at the time you looked.

Thanks, Irene. I, too, had thought this was the most likely explanation; that the total includes everyone who has visited the topic, irrespective of whether they have voted or not.

In addition one has to consider being excluded from "further" voting as a result of any visit, be it by voting or just viewing...

It would be nice to have some understanding of what version of the tune we might be voting for. "Gordon's Tune" and "La Luna Dins Alga" were described as the same tune, but are really quite different variants (and not just bacause one is written essentially in a notation that is twice as fast looking).

It would be nice to have some understanding of what version of the tune we might be voting for. "Gordon's Tune" and "La Luna Dins Alga" were described as the same tune, but are really quite different variants (and not just bacause one is written essentially in a notation that is twice as fast looking).

Well, the more variants come into view the more I believe them all to belong to one tune.

At first glance I might prefer this one... :)

Just voted. It claims that 28 people have now voted in this poll, yet when I subsequently added up all the votes, they only came to 23 in total. Surely some mishtake?

Chris

This was brought up before Chris. If you go in and don't actually cast a vote, it still includes you as having voted. I went in, had a look at the three tunes in question, didn't actually like any of them that much, so didn't vote for any of them ... in other words a vote of "abstention". So that would be one of the 5 in question at the time you looked.

Thanks, Irene. I, too, had thought this was the most likely explanation; that the total includes everyone who has visited the topic, irrespective of whether they have voted or not.

Chris

To be clear: One can visit this page many times without forfeiting the chance to vote or being counted as a "null" vote, but you can't see the results unless you either vote or cast a null vote, which forfeits your vote and adds to the total without adding to the votes of any of the choices.

Then again, maybe that's not so clear...

Chris

Chris

To be clear: One can visit this page many times without forfeiting the chance to vote or being counted as a "null" vote, but you can't see the results unless you either vote or cast a null vote, which forfeits your vote and adds to the total without adding to the votes of any of the choices.

Then again, maybe that's not so clear...

I believe this is incorrect. I seem to recall that any entering - be it with or without casting a vote - will be counted as having voted. There is no such thing as a "null vote", if not by entering the thread without having voted...

I believe this is incorrect. I seem to recall that any entering - be it with or without casting a vote - will be counted as having voted. There is no such thing as a "null vote", if not by entering the thread without having voted...

I stand by my remarks. Try it next month (or next time someone posts a poll). Look at the page without clicking anything in the top frame. Then leave concertina.net and come back to the page. Your options will still be there.

I stand by my remarks. Try it next month (or next time someone posts a poll). Look at the page without clicking anything in the top frame. Then leave concertina.net and come back to the page. Your options will still be there.

I have set up a test poll here. Have a look and work through it and you will see that I am correct, unless we seriously misunderstand each other.

I have set up a test poll here. Have a look and work through it and you will see that I am correct, unless we seriously misunderstand each other.

Yes, you are ríght - it's just viewing the results, which will cast a "null" vote... but not reading the posts.

I falsely recalled the thread and not just the poll results being unvisible prior to either voting or "null"-voting, probably because there had been just the initial post with the poll so far...

I'm another one who viewed the results and, as a result, cast a null vote.

That's fine by me actually - I'm perfectly happy to have a go at whatever the vote decides upon, and if I did vote I would probably play safe rather than stretching myself.

So a null vote, from me at least, is far from an expression of disinterest, it's an interested abstention.

My version of La Luna Dins l'Aiga is now up on the June thread BTW, and I'm eagerly awaiting B-ES's analysis of the latitudinal jolliness of my version compared to his :)