56-key ebony-ended Aeola Baritone for sale...

conzertino

Times are hard.... I may have to part with another long time companion: In 1978 I bought this Wheatstone Aeola baritone in a junk-shop in the grassmarket in Edinburgh.

Good original condition, concert-pitch, good original box, 56 key ( the range is one octave below an extended treble ), seven fold air-tight bellows, in well maintained playing order and occasionally played. Serial number is 29291 - best period!

There are a few minor cracks in the ends and two broken reeds were replaced at some stage by Steve Dickinson.

Barry1.JPG

Barry2.JPG

Barry3.JPG

Barry4.JPG

The closest offer to 4.000 pound will be honoured :)

She is currently located in Germany. I will be in GB soon and could deliver or the potential buyer could check her out at the German-Concertina-Meeting in March at my place ( concertinas.de ). Well packed and insured delivery by courier is no problem either.

Edited by conzertino

The good old days! I found my first Jeffries in another junk-shop in Edinburgh for 20 pounds.... On the other hand, 180 pound was a lot of money then for a student! I remember how I lost the offer of a lot of four great concertinas to a dealer, because I couldn't raise 900 pound ( in 1978 ): 1 Wheatstone oboe concertina, 1 Wheatstone clarinet concertina, an Edeophone plus an Aeola piccolo....

That particular piccolo finally came to me more than 30 years later!

A friend told me the story, how he found a lovely Gibson mandolin NAILED to the wall in a junk-shop... DISGUST!!

A friend told me the story, how he found a lovely Gibson mandolin NAILED to the wall in a junk-shop... DISGUST!!

I once found a "lute guitar" (actually a guitar in lute shape, from the "good old" Wandervogel days), sadly a minute (or should I say: some nasty seconds) too late, only witnessing a worker smashing the instrument against a container wall in front of the house, yelling: "I hate all this old shit!!!".

I was disgusted too. In fact, that experience was (and still is) sort of touching, just imagining the craftsmen who once made it on the one hand and all the music that might have been raised out of it on the other.

Some weeks later I bought a very similar one (from a dealer, yet unrestored), which has been my companion on some travelling since then.

Edited by blue eyed sailor

What are the weight and size (distance across the flats)?

This one is 8" ( 20,5cm ) across and weighs 1875g.

My other 48 key Model 20 baritone has the same size, but weighs 1950g ( 8 fold bellows! )

I had expected it to be lighter...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Please let me know if this is still available or similar.

I'm on the look out for one of these rare items because low and behold, as I've anticipated for some time, I'm having to sooner or later put some of my repertoire plans on hold until I acquire a model in this range.

"I only have eyes for you" has sprung up as an example song from my planned "The Thirties" songbook transcriptions and practice for English Concertina, from piano/vocal sheet music, which I'm comfortably over a 1/4 way through by transcribing/playing both clefs on mainly tenor-treble (56 key).

I anticipate that around 1 in 10 songs from such standards, or probably even much less, will need the use of a slightly more extended range into the bass clef: "I only have eyes for you" as a case in point - ideally - requiring a 56 key baritone from G2 to G6; or perhaps a slightly larger model that can straddle this range a little more, but possibly at the expense of weight, although I'm not so sure anymore (going on comments).

I've seen three others today too, so far in my search, which I think are all unfortunately museum based. I wouldn't mind swapping a 60 key 1897 Lachenal New Model treble to help afford a baritone aeola like this one. I was recently told that they're difficult to acquire and well sought after, as you'd expect. I have the tenor-treble equivalent (Wheatstone model 19 Aeola ) and I can therefore understand this sentimentality.

There's no rush as I've plenty of songs to get through, probably years' worth. If the worst comes to the worst, then I can always transpose the key to fit to within C3 to C7 or even Bb2 upwards excluding B2 as I've fortunately that modified Eb3 duplicate that I've posted about way back on the forum. I like authenticity in the written key, so I shall leave key-transposing to the last if my wait for a similar baritone should become too long.

Back to the music stand that I no longer have!

ps If it weren't for my need to grow my transcription accomplishments beyond the 11 songs that I've learned, so far, maybe averaging out about 5 new songs per-annum: shared alongside necessary practice on learned songs, then I would probably publish and/or record the results my findings, but I feel that the first 5 years will be needed to continue - dedicate towards - transcribing and practising (notwithstanding that I am recording thoughts on my Google+ page as I progress).

I keep myself stringing along to the plan! A couple of years down now, and hopefully many more to go.

Sorry, mine is long gone. But if you are quick:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18672

Not an Aeola and not the perfect period, but a Wheatstone Baritone!

The buttonbox has a lovely Aeola baritone-treble for sale:

http://buttonbox.com/concertinas-in-stock.html

Chris Algar sometimes has them in stock! A friend bought one of him.

I have been lucky before with a "wanted" thread in this forum...

Edited by conzertino

Mike noticed: "the serial number is actually 34624. It's a model 10a Baritone with nickel-plated ends, made May 25, 1937"

I didn't check yet.

Steve has a TT for sale, which sounds great!!

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18685

I'm a big fan of 31xxx Aeolas. Fortunately I have a few of them;-)

conzertino, many thanks for the update and new info.

The 10a is almost what I need, and not far off a Wheatstone 10b, as I need the 56 keys as a minimum.

Also good to be reminded of the model 14 for sale at $6k+, an aeola equivalent of the 10b, which would again be okay indeed.

I am kind of hankering for a switch in the layout that puts the middle C on the opposite side, which the 10b probably should be doing to fit within the hexagon (?) I note that the model 14 Aeola for sale has middle C on the same side (left) as my 56 key TT Aeola (model 19):-

1) as a slightly lazier option - to read the treble clef where I'm accustomed to playing it (when I'm raising an octave from the piano/vocal sheet music);

2) presumably a lighter weight;

3) maybe also cheaper;

However, I wouldn't be averse to having the exact same keyboard as my TT on a slightly bigger Aeola as I'm fairly accustomed to reading an octave above, but not yet at sight-reading speed, which is also the case for me with bass clef, and especially if the quality is better matched to my TT Aeola, which is another aspiration. I won't know yet until I start testing and/or acquiring. Oh, ps: Steve Dickinson recently overhauled the TT for me and may be able to sort any Baritones out to the same standard. I need to find one first that hasn't been too tampered with (or maintainable).

I asked Chris who doesn't have one as yet, but is looking out for me as well.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks again

ps Oh, I see there's also a Glasgow based extended baritone up to C7 from possibly F2 (64 buttons) like a Wheatstone model 16 - and it's over $1k cheaper too. It could be perfect for my purposes. I'd better now make an enquiry to see if I can try it - oops, false start, it's Glasgow US presumably, hmm.

pps I think I would put 'quality/maintainability' above 'range' rather than vice versa if it came to having to chose where to put limited funds...

ppps: No, I see now, it was a presumably former principal of the instrument who came from Glasgow, Scotland. One of the priciest kinds of Aeola, I would imagine, and I'd guess justifying an owner's own engraving.

Regarding the other instrument for sale on Buttonbox.com. the 56-key variant, I wonder in what way the model 14 is different from the model 20a - both have a similar description on the 1930 pricelist PDF and are the same price - maybe one involves the middle C being on the left and the the other on the right ('slipped', as I think Steve termed it). I can imagine such a slippage in the pattern affording a slightly more economical sizing. Both would have their merits, but in respect of the other instrument, the model 16 like 64-key Aeola going up to C7, I think I'd prefer to have the less economical, larger, sizing so that it can, practically, double as my tenor-treble when it's out getting serviced... The 56-key model 14 would of course also be able to double as a TT, but not to the same extent at the higher end.

Edited by kevin toner