Anglo Concertina

Guest SILVIO FROM ITALY

Guest SILVIO FROM ITALY

Hi to all! I have a question. Mary MacNamara play a D/G Concertina with C fingering. I don't understand how is possible. Someone help me please?

Thanks.

Hi Silvo,

When I had my lesson with Mary last year she was playing a C/G concertina (the one she had been playing for many years). I would be interested to hear your thoughts on why she plays a D/G.

Cheers

Morgana

Edited by Morgana

Guest Guest_Frank Edgley

Silvio. I think what is meant by "G/D concertina with C fingering" is probably using a G/D concertina as if she were playing C/G concertina and most likely playing the tune as on what would be the C row on a C/G instrument (i.e. the G row on a G/D). I am familiar with Mary MacNamara's CDs and played with her in a session in Miltown Malbay, once, but can't really say that I paid attention to her fingering style.

I have a question. Mary MacNamara play a D/G Concertina with C fingering. I don't understand how is possible.

In what keys is she playing the tunes on the recordings?

I would expect it to mean that a tune normally played in G will sound in D when she plays it on the G/D, Em tunes sounding in Bm, etc.

Guest SILVIO FROM ITALY

Mary MacNamara, in your web site, say: "... I play it on a concertina tuned in D/G and using C fingering. Here is the tune as it would have to be played on a C/G concertina to correspond with what I am doing a D/G concertina...".

Mary MacNamara, in your web site, say: "... I play it on a concertina tuned in D/G and using C fingering. Here is the tune as it would have to be played on a C/G concertina to correspond with what I am doing a D/G concertina...".

OK, I've found it. On Mary's web site, she does say that. (The URL won't take you directly there; you need to click on the Tunes link on the left-hand side.)

I was also confused, at first, but looking at the music that's written out and listening to the track from her Blackberry Blossom CD (you can hear that track on her web site), I find:

... On the CD, she's playing the tune -- Shandon Bells -- in the key of G. (I learned it in the key of D, and "of course", with just a couple of notes different.)

... The notes that are written out are the notes she is playing, so I suppose she means that if you read those notes on a C/G, you'll be able to play along with the CD.

... Playing those notes on a C/G requires a very different fingering from what she uses. If you used her G/D fingering on the C/G, you would find yourself playing the tune in the key of C (and mostly -- or maybe even entirely -- on the C row).

I hope this helps.

Edited to add the name of the tune in question.

Edited by JimLucas