Lachenal 30 key

JRC

Hi all,

I've been offered first refusal on a 30 key lachenal- all original, including the case and in very good condition.

It has brass reeds though and I've been told this is not ideal. woood it be such a drawback for a total beginner.

Also what should I be paying for it -to be fair to both parties.

thanks

If you want to play Irish dance music (aka ITM) it may not be responsive enough for you, especially if you're aiming at the highly ornamented style that's popular these days. If you're playing almost anything else the brass reeds could be ok. Their more mellow sound could even be an advantage for song accompaniment.

Does it need tuning? Is it in modern pitch?

Re prices, here's what Barleycorn Concertinas charges for one of those: "The mahogany ended 30 key concertina would be from £650 with brass reeds." That would be for an instrument in modern pitch in very good playing condition from an extremely reliable dealer, so consider that the high end in pricing.

Hi all,

I've been offered first refusal on a 30 key lachenal- all original, including the case and in very good condition.

It has brass reeds though and I've been told this is not ideal. woood it be such a drawback for a total beginner.

thanks

Thanks Daniel,

I'll see what Barleycorn concertinas can offer.

Regards

JRC

If you want to play Irish dance music (aka ITM) it may not be responsive enough for you, especially if you're aiming at the highly ornamented style that's popular these days. If you're playing almost anything else the brass reeds could be ok. Their more mellow sound could even be an advantage for song accompaniment.

Does it need tuning? Is it in modern pitch?

Re prices, here's what Barleycorn Concertinas charges for one of those: "The mahogany ended 30 key concertina would be from £650 with brass reeds." That would be for an instrument in modern pitch in very good playing condition from an extremely reliable dealer, so consider that the high end in pricing.

Hi all,

thanks