Trio of Jeffries

DDF

They're all described as Anglos, but two of them look like duets (Lot 3 51 buttons, and Lot 5 46 buttons). Of course, they may have been converted.

I have contacted the auctioneers. All three instruments play different notes on push and pull - they checked it for me.

I had a fine 45 key ( plus air-valve ) Jeffries before und it wouldn't surprise me at all, if Jeffries made a 50 plus anglo-instrument to special order...

The next question is, who wants a big one like that these days...

• 2 weeks later...
They're all described as Anglos, but two of them look like duets (Lot 3 51 buttons, and Lot 5 46 buttons). Of course, they may have been converted.

I have contacted the auctioneers. All three instruments play different notes on push and pull - they checked it for me.

I had a fine 45 key ( plus air-valve ) Jeffries before und it wouldn't surprise me at all, if Jeffries made a 50 plus anglo-instrument to special order...

The next question is, who wants a big one like that these days...

Hello, does someone know how they are tuned (C/G , Bb/Eb, F/Bb, C/G ...) ? Gael

I went to see Bonhams this week. I didn't have enough time to do a complete check, but I can confirm that they are all anglos. I couldn't do enough checks to see whether they were converted duets.

The most straightforward one is the 46 key. It's in Bb/F concert pitch (A=440) and is stamped C Jeffries maker. Metal handrials and fretwork consistent with other large Jeffries. The open sides didn't seem to increase the volume significantly

The 37 key has fretwork very similar to an early C Jeffries but it's stamped C Jeffries 23 Praed St in the oval and the buttons are a large diameter. It's sort of Bb/F - but at A=470. My tuner set at A=440 would read it as a B/F#

The 50 key is again stamped C Jeffries 23 Praed St in the oval. It appears to have come from the US and is in Bb/F at A=460. The fretwork is not like other large Jeffries with metal handrails that I've seen.

All of them need work and there are issues with the bellows, minor issues with reeds on a couple of them and a problem with end bolts on one of them.

I've stuck to facts rather than opinions. I'm reluctant to say much more as I've taken the trouble to go and see them and am still mulling over bidding, therefore anything I say could be construed as either talking the price down or as encouraging someone to pay silly money based on opinion. I'd be interested to know what others think of the morality or otherwise of this.

What they're worth depends on whether you're a player, collector or dealer. They'll likely go for a lot of money and at that value, if you're interested I 'd suggest you take a look for yourselfd and see if they suit your purpose

Alex West

Alex, standing there with those three gems, it must have been very tempting, to do a McKillop! :lol:

It is said, that a certain Irish Fiddle player & maker took a trip to Sotheby's one time & liked a couple of bows so much, that he stuck them inside his coat & walked out.

A security guard then followed him out & brought him & the bows back, to watch the whole sorry episode on their CCTV! :(

Needless to say he is, forever more, persona non grata at Sotheby's.

At least, that's the legend! ;)

Cheers

Dick

I've stuck to facts rather than opinions. I'm reluctant to say much more as I've taken the trouble to go and see them and am still mulling over bidding, therefore anything I say could be construed as either talking the price down or as encouraging someone to pay silly money based on opinion. I'd be interested to know what others think of the morality or otherwise of this.

I think that reporting only facts is exactly the right thing to do under the circumstances, and I also think that it's very generous of you to share any information with us when you're a potential bidder yourself.

Daniel

I went to see Bonhams this week. I didn't have enough time to do a complete check, but I can confirm that they are all anglos. I couldn't do enough checks to see whether they were converted duets.

The most straightforward one is the 46 key. It's in Bb/F concert pitch (A=440) and is stamped C Jeffries maker. Metal handrials and fretwork consistent with other large Jeffries. The open sides didn't seem to increase the volume significantly

The 37 key has fretwork very similar to an early C Jeffries but it's stamped C Jeffries 23 Praed St in the oval and the buttons are a large diameter. It's sort of Bb/F - but at A=470. My tuner set at A=440 would read it as a B/F#

The 50 key is again stamped C Jeffries 23 Praed St in the oval. It appears to have come from the US and is in Bb/F at A=460. The fretwork is not like other large Jeffries with metal handrails that I've seen.

All of them need work and there are issues with the bellows, minor issues with reeds on a couple of them and a problem with end bolts on one of them.

What they're worth depends on whether you're a player, collector or dealer. They'll likely go for a lot of money and at that value, if you're interested I 'd suggest you take a look for yourselfd and see if they suit your purpose

Alex West

Hammer prices were £2700 for the 50 key, £2750 for the 37 key and £3300 for the 46 key, giving cost to the buyer of £3321, £3383 and £4059 respectively.

With the work that needs doing on them, they may still give a decent margin for a dealer and hence a relative bargain for a private individual, as long as the eventual user really wants a big Bb/F or a slightly peculiar 37 key instrument.

The ultimate value is hard to judge in today's climate. I've heard conflicting stories recently about the bottom having dropped out of the market or instruments changing hands for £8 to £10k (I'd guess that the big money is still in a first rate fully restored original C/G 30 key C Jeffries)

I'd be very interested to know what was written inside the right hand end of the 37 key though!

Alex West

Edited to correct wrong VAT rate!

Edited by Alex West

Hammer prices were £2700 for the 50 key, £2750 for the 37 key and £3300 for the 46 key, giving cost to the buyer of £3310, £3371 and £4045 respectively.

With the work that needs doing on them, they may still give a decent margin for a dealer, as long as the eventual user really wants a big Bb/F or a slightly peculiar 37 key instrument.

The ultimate value is hard to judge in today's climate. I've heard conflicting stories recently about the bottom having dropped out of the market or instruments changing hands for £8 to £10k (I'd guess that the big money is still in a first rate fully restored original C/G 30 key C Jeffries)

I'd be very interested to know what was written inside the right hand end of the 37 key though!

Alex West

I have bidden 3200 £ on the 46k, because i sing in BbM/G#m 440Hz whith many chords in a britton band, but it wasn't enough !!!

Gael ROLLAND

Lot No: 3

Reed instruments

An Anglo Concertina by Charles Jeffries, circa 1900

Engraved C Jeffries Maker 23 Praed Street London W. with nickel fretted endplates with 51 metal keys, 6 folds of black leather, gilt decoration, two leather hand straps, some wear and tear, in case lined case. (2)

Sold for £3,240 inclusive of Buyer's Premium

Lot No: 4

Reed instruments

An Anglo Concertina by Charles Jeffries, circa 1900

Engraved C. Jeffries Maker 23 Praed Street London W. (on the right hand endplate) with foliate nickel fretted endplates, 38 metal buttons, gilt decoration, 6 bellows of black leather, wear and tear to bellows, in leather and lined fitted box. (2)

Sold for £3,300 inclusive of Buyer's Premium

Lot No: 5

Reed instruments

An Anglo Jeffries Concertina

Engraved C Jeffries Maker between the buttons (on both endplates), and again on the oval, further engraved on a separate plaque on body, 12 Aldershot Road, Kilburn with a pierced metal endplate and alternative fretwork joining endplate to concertina body, 6 folds of black leather, gilt decoration, 46 metal buttons, with two leather hand straps, some wear and tear, in a leather and lined case. (2)

Sold for £3,960 inclusive of Buyer's Premium

Chris