Wheatstone on FLOG IT today!

Did you see the Wheatstone on Flog It today?

Metal Ended. Wrist Straps. Looked like an extended or a TT perhaps?

Serial No. 26546 ... does that make it 1914/15?

It was bought by a phone bidder ...... anyone here buy it?

The owner got it from an old lady 30 years ago & it has been in her garage ever since.

It looked pretty clean.

Sold for £2,200

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

Did you see the Wheatstone on Flog It today?

Metal Ended. Wrist Straps. Looked like an extended or a TT perhaps?

Serial No. 26546 ... does that make it 1914/15?

It was bought by a phone bidder ...... anyone here buy it?

The owner got it from an old lady 30 years ago & it has been in her garage ever since.

It looked pretty clean.

Sold for £2,200

Cheers

Dick

From the ledgers:

Nov 19th (1914), No19A, Octo Nickel 64 keys SV

Model 19A is an extended tenor-treble (and cost around £27 in 1914)

Steve

Steve, when the owner was asked on the show, she said she thought it might be worth about £50!

I thought about bidding for this box, but I think a 64 key extended TT woud be a little too heavy for the dance music I play, so I decided not to bid.

Having seen the bit of the program with the expert opinion and later sale, it seems to have been a very clean box with little required in the line of work (except the usual fettling of old boxes that have sat unused and unloved for decades).

Anyone on this forum win this box?

Mind you I have since aquired a lovely original condition baritone Aeola.

Steve

Edited by SteveS

I was going to keep a low profile, but members of this forum deserve to know what happened to this fine instrument, particularly with its TV star status and the two threads on it over recent months....

Sometime ago I asked a well known concertina dealer to look out for a metal ended Aeola TT for me. His verdict was it would be a long wait with an expensive outcome. The expense I was prepared for but the long wait was another thing...

So along comes a TT in a small town auction. I had a pal who lives down there check it out before the sale, and I put a phone bid in.

Unfortunately another buyer got it..... You've guessed.

What I ended up with may not be a bargain, and had we not been bidding against each other I might have got it for less (not much , judging by the Flog it footage), but what I ended up with is a truly magnificent TT. Our man got a bit extra for his pains, and I got a gorgeous Aeola TT.

Restoration is something for long and careful consideration, apart from some obvious immediate repairs, (ie quite a few gurgles and silent notes), the instrument is totally playable, smooth as silk. I'm well capable of any work needed, having restored and tuned a few concertinas now, including restorative nickel plating and bellows repair. But there is nothing this needs apart from possibly taking down from old philharmonic pitch, which at the moment I'm not inclined to do. I'm inclined to leave it as is for the moment - my playing with other instruments is ably carried out by my treble. Bellows on the TT are as new. I've replaced handstraps and may replace thumbstraps too. I've so far only done the valves on an as-needed basis, but will do the full set soon. The action is fast and silky smooth. I'm leaving the pads alone for now.

So - a lot of money spent but I ended with the concertina of my dreams.

Us sufferers of the acquisition disorder can easily fall prey to the "more money than sense" ridicule of others. But money in the bank earns little interest and not half as much pleasure as this instrument is giving me.

It was interesting to see the Flog it piece on it.

I'll maybe post a couple of pics in its tidied up state.

Simon

Congratulations on acquiring such a fine instrument.

The baritone Aeola I recently acquired is similar to the description of your TT.

It's amazing to think that 'tinas in this condition after around 100 years are still out there.

Congratulations on acquiring such a fine instrument.

The baritone Aeola I recently acquired is similar to the description of your TT.

It's amazing to think that 'tinas in this condition after around 100 years are still out there.

Congratulations Simon, I'm delighted to hear that the TT went to a good home.

Hey Steve, how about a photo or two of your Æola Baritone?

What number is it?

Let me introduce you to 31366:

2730938440102727105S200x200Q85.jpg

I love those low notes on the TT, but there's nothing quite like that low F, on a Baritone!

.......... the Darth Vadar of Concertinas! :D

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

I love those low notes on the TT, but there's nothing quite like that low F, on a Baritone!

I agree, Dick. The gent that I bought the Morse from sold his brace of concertinas to acquire a Dipper Baritone EC. His has a low E onboard. I still have dreams about that sound! :P

Cheers!