Wheatstone Serial Numbers

I was wondering if the serial numbers for Wheatstone English and Wheatone Anglo correspond to the same year, ie-if a serial number for both an English and an Anglo are in the 23500 serial number range- were they made in the same year?

Either the same year or close to it.

As far as is known, Wheatstone had a single run of serial numbers covering all instruments up until 1937, when anglos were apparently given their own, independent (but not overlapping) set.

The artilce Pam Berardino directed you to is about the later, exceptional period. The numbers you refer to (your own instruments?) are from before 1910, in a period for which the Wheatstone ledgers are missing, but the single serial run was clearly followed both before and after that "blank" period, so it undoubtedly applies to your instruments.

Out of curiosity, just how close are the numbers you're talking about? I have two Lachenal Maccann duets, bought used in different cities and years apart, which bear consecutive serial numbers. (Lachenal, by the way, did apparently have separate runs of serial numbers for English, anglo, and duet concertinas.)

Jim-the serial # of my Wheatstone english is 26520. The friend who sold it to me said it was made about 1904 or 1905. But when I looked up the serial # in some chart ( I can't remember where?) it put my concertina at about 1914, which is what led me to my question--thanks--Steven

Edited by Steven Hollander

• 15 years later...

Are you sure these are Wheatstone made 'English system' instruments?  Their numbers  only went up to around 37,000. The numbers suggest they are Lachenal made instruments, and if so (and are English system) would date circa 1923. A photo would help us if possible.