Buyer to Beware of

Paul Read

• 1 month later...
I have had a problem getting payment from a buyer in Dublin, Ireland. If anyone is doing a concertina deal with a Dublin buyer I can give you details so you can avoid him.

Looking at ebay feedback I see I'm not the only one to have had trouble with this character. Why "Panda" gets into his handle I don't know!

With my personnal experience, I will never use eBay ever again for concertina transactions. I'm sure it's fine most of the time, but the risk is too high. For buying one, I'll always want to try it first, unless it's a new one. As for selling one, a private sale on this site would be as far as I'd go. I don't have much pity for people who get 'screwed' with important transactions on eBay. It's always a sad thing, but I think we should be aware of the risk involved.

With my personnal experience, I will never use eBay ever again for concertina transactions. I'm sure it's fine most of the time, but the risk is too high. For buying one, I'll always want to try it first, unless it's a new one. As for selling one, a private sale on this site would be as far as I'd go. I don't have much pity for people who get 'screwed' with important transactions on eBay. It's always a sad thing, but I think we should be aware of the risk involved.

On the other hand, it's good to be warned. Someone may want to deal with this guy off ebay and can check him out first.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul, I don't understand?

If this guy is such a problem, how come he's got: Positive feedback: 100%

Surely, something is very wrong with the system?

Cheers

Dick

There is something wrong with the system. He held off giving me feedback until it was too late to respond and also never fully paid. Who knows if that happened to anyone else. If he gets his asking price it will be a great profit! Interesting that my feedback said it was not a good instrument but now it is a "grand" one

Edited by Paul Read

Cheers

Dick

Hi Dick

All his 100% was earned as a buyer. Nothing as a seller. If you read his page of feedback you'll recognize a few he has purchased from :unsure:

Thanks

Leo

PS. Sorry Bill and Paul. You guys were posting as I was reading his ad.

Edited by Leo

Hi Dick

All his 100% was earned as a buyer. Nothing as a seller. If you read his page of feedback you'll recognize a few he has purchased from :unsure:

Thanks

Leo

PS. Sorry Bill and Paul. You guys were posting as I was reading his ad.

I see I'm not the only one to have had trouble with him. Look at the selling section. I also once gave him good feedback because another transaction went OK (he moved fast because he convinced himself he'd bought a Jeffries for a bargain - although I made it clear it was a Jones!)

Hello All,

Just for curiosity, I emailed and asked that he disclose the identity of the mentioned EXPERT as that may be an important consideration.

I have copied his reply verbatim, below.

Happy to do so - to the eventual buyer.

- gpanda123

I am now even more curious why one would not disclose something important enough to mention in the first place.

Thoughts, please.

Be Well,

Dan

Hello All,

Just for curiosity, I emailed and asked that he disclose the identity of the mentioned EXPERT as that may be an important consideration.

I have copied his reply verbatim, below.

Happy to do so - to the eventual buyer.

- gpanda123

I am now even more curious why one would not disclose something important enough to mention in the first place.

Thoughts, please.

Be Well,

Dan

Here is my tuppence worth of thought.....

It is discouraging when someone buys an item from you...leaves you negative feedback....and then wants to sell the same concertina for an additional $1,200 and more.

Edited by Ben

He held off giving me feedback until it was too late to respond and also never fully paid.

It sounds to me that this is a good case for raising a dispute. If he never paid the agreed price, you can raise the dispute and ask to be recompensed, as well as asking that his feedback reflect his behaviour.

One of my sons had a rather ugly experience buying a mountain bike... but we raised a dispute with both ebay and paypal and won. Paypal pursued the money (there hadn't been anything in the seller's to refund us) and he did receive a full refund 9 months after the sale.

BTW, I bought the best flute I've ever played on ebay a few years ago - so I would never discount it out of hand. But with instruments, you probably want more background and a verifiable provenance.

regards,

Pamela

Cheers

Dick

There is something wrong with the system. He held off giving me feedback until it was too late to respond and also never fully paid. Who knows if that happened to anyone else. If he gets his asking price it will be a great profit! Interesting that my feedback said it was not a good instrument but now it is a "grand" one

It sounds to me that this is a good case for raising a dispute. If he never paid the agreed price, you can raise the dispute and ask to be recompensed, as well as asking that his feedback reflect his behaviour.

BTW, I bought the best flute I've ever played on ebay a few years ago - so I would never discount it out of hand. But with instruments, you probably want more background and a verifiable provenance.

regards,

Pamela

Hi Pamela, I did take it up with ebay and I have been successful going this route on another item that I bought. In this case ebay said it was too late and they couldn't do anything except respond to the bad feedback (difficult with number of words allowed). I have no problem usually with buying or selling on ebay but I do find some of their procedures frustrating. It's all part of the learning process I guess. It's just important that noone else gets caught.

I think it's a sad story, but the moral of the story? Never, ever, send an item before receiving payment. Make no exception. When money is involved, the worse can always happen. Actually, I think the eBay system works only when you send the item after receiving payment, if you don't, then it's not really broken, it's that you didn't use it properly. That's my two cents.

I also agree that Paul is 100% trustworthy, I sent him more than one concertinas over the time and always did an amazing jobs on them. This guy in Ireland, well, it's very suspicious.

• 1 year later...