Mark Gilston on YouTube

Tradman

Back to Swedish music this week with a lovely Waltz-Skänklåt after Erik Nillson.
Hmm. A printed version perhaps?
That would mean I'd have to figure out what notes I'm playing! :-) But in all seriousness, I play everything by ear.
You mean you are a "By-Ear" player of English system, whose playing sounds like he's working with a score? I just can't cope with this. I refuse!

Misha, what do you think of the playing of Danny Chapman (ratface)? I'm pretty sure that although he can read and write music notation, he does his composing and arranging and much of his tune learning by ear. (And I'm quite sure that if I'm wrong, he'll let us know.)

Now that I think of it, Misha, how do you do your own arranging? Do you actually write it all out on paper before hearing how any of it sounds on an instrument? That's something that I would find very strange.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to Swedish music this week with a lovely Waltz-Skänklåt after Erik Nillson.

Hmm. A printed version perhaps? As a gesture to promote Swedish music among endless Russian steppes?

Hey Misha, are you going to use this tune for steppe dancing? How about some videos? :D

Hmm. A printed version perhaps? As a gesture to promote Swedish music among endless Russian steppes?

Hey Misha, are you going to use this tune for steppe dancing? How about some videos? :D

Dancing in the Steppes? You probably think of Khazars.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Khazar_1.gif

Anyway, I was making skewered potatoes, and while pealing them, cut off very tip of my finger. Surprisingly I was able to stop the bleeding quite quickly and am able to type. But my playing is stopped cold turkey for now.

Before that I was learning some kids' stuff : Polonaise and Menuet from "Bach Easy Violin Duets". I don't make my arrangements. It's more like I simplify the written music.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week no video because I was concertizing in Ohio. This week I'm back with another Swedish walking tune. This is the well-known gånglåt "Gärdeby" once again played on an English baritone.

Enjoy,

Mark Gilston

Today's contribution is English! It is my version of Bold Princess Royal which I learned about 35 years ago before I knew anything about Morris dancing. No capers, but I hope you like it anyway.

Mark Gilston

Today's contribution is English! It is my version of Bold Princess Royal which I learned about 35 years ago before I knew anything about Morris dancing. No capers, but I hope you like it anyway.

Nicely done, Mark.

Actually, the tune's composition is credited to Turlough O'Carolan, which would make it originally Irish, and a concert piece. The tune was adopted and adapted by the English for Morris dancing. There are numerous versions in various Cotswold Morris traditions, some minor (like the original), others major or in other modes. The slow sections for capers were a modification specifically for the Morris, and I suppose not everyone would consider that a great leap upward. :D

I think it's a great tune in all it's many versions. Another great performance (IMO), this one on the anglo (and with the "slows" for Morris), is by John Roberts on the John & Tony CD A Present from the Gentlemen.

Nicely done, Mark.

Actually, the tune's composition is credited to Turlough O'Carolan, which would make it originally Irish, and a concert piece. The tune was adopted and adapted by the English for Morris dancing. There are numerous versions in various Cotswold Morris traditions, some minor (like the original), others major or in other modes. The slow sections for capers were a modification specifically for the Morris, and I suppose not everyone would consider that a great leap upward. :D

I think it's a great tune in all it's many versions. Another great performance (IMO), this one on the anglo (and with the "slows" for Morris), is by John Roberts on the John & Tony CD A Present from the Gentlemen.

Thanks for the info, Jim. I had no idea that it was credited to O'Carolan. He seems to show up all over the British isles. John will be coming to Palestine (TX) for the Old Time and Dulcimer (and concertina) fest this march, and I had been thinking it might be interesting for the participants to have us play our versions side by side.

This week I've uploaded Galway Bay, my favorite Irish hornpipe. It's very different style from my usual rich harmonic arrangements, but (I think) well suited to tunes with lots of notes and certainly more typical of what's expected on the English concertina. I'll post others in this style as well as the harmony style in the future.

Hope you like it,

Mark Gilston

http://markgilston.com/