A new member and a Bach Sarabande from the cello suites

Podzol

Hi folks,

I'm new here and new to the English concertina. I just bought a Jack.

Thanks for the valuable information on these boards. It has helped orient me to the world of concertinas.

I transposed one of my favorite pieces of music to play. It will work with the Jack or Jackie concertinas, and probably some others. It's supposed to be played very slowly, so maybe some advanced beginners/intermediate players will enjoy it. I hope you can read my music script. No, I can't play it yet. Maybe in a few months!

Blake

post-8020-1251225797_thumb.jpg

Hi folks,

Thanks for the valuable information on these boards. It has helped orient me to the world of concertinas.

I transposed one of my favorite pieces of music to play. It will work with the Jack or Jackie concertinas, and probably some others. It's supposed to be played very slowly, so maybe some advanced beginners/intermediate players will enjoy it. I hope you can read my music script. No, I can't play it yet. Maybe in a few months!

Blake

Great stuff Blake. Well done and welcome.

This should take up a few hours of practice!

And you might find this link of interest:

http://icking-music-archive.org/scores/bac...es/vl100712.pdf

Edited by John Adey

Hi John,

Thank you!!!! Thank you Thank you for that link. That will save my knuckles from music writing, thereby preserving them for the concertina.

I used to play cello and loved to play this dance. I was recently thinking of starting up cello again, but after listening to some of the tin-eared performances recorded at my prime, I decided to switch to an instrument that would play the intended note more precisely. (I hear a small voice in the back of my mind saying "It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools").

The bellows of the concertina remind me a great deal of the bowing in the string instruments and I love playing a C# rather than a C-and-a-half #!

Thanks again, I will have to check back once and again and see what great concertina adventures folks are having.

Blake

i'm a little confused, what key is this in?

It's actually in D major, but the key signature has been written incorrectly. The first sharp sign ought to be F# on the top line of the stave, not D# as shown.

whoops!

that's 'cause I am new to treble clef, I have the most experience with bass clef from the cello.

Blake

Edited by Podzol

Just a small point. Confusingly, at the top of the piece, it states 'Transposed by B Ketchum for G/C ENGL. CONCERTINA'. G/C would refer to an Anglo, not English, yes? A Jack or Jackie is an English concertina and I presume the piece is intended more to be played on the EC, so the G/C is redundant.

Chris

Just a small point. Confusingly, at the top of the piece, it states 'Transposed by B Ketchum for G/C ENGL. CONCERTINA'. G/C would refer to an Anglo, not English, yes? A Jack or Jackie is an English concertina and I presume the piece is intended more to be played on the EC, so the G/C is redundant.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I'm learning. So I gather from this English concertinas don't come in other pitch ranges? my Jack's pitch range is from G to C, so I that's why I put that there, misunderstanding what G/C meant. I guess it means something else, like the actual key of the Irish concertina?

I really didn't mean to make such a mess posting this. I'll have to check with someone who knows a thing or two before posting my errors!

Thanks folks for helping me along.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I'm learning. So I gather from this English concertinas don't come in other pitch ranges? my Jack's pitch range is from G to C, so I that's why I put that there, misunderstanding what G/C meant. I guess it means something else, like the actual key of the Irish concertina?

I really didn't mean to make such a mess posting this. I'll have to check with someone who knows a thing or two before posting my errors!

Thanks folks for helping me along.

anglo concertinas come in different keys: C/G, Bb/F, G/D, etc. english concertinas come in ranges: treble, tenor, etc. i may be wrong, but i thinkyou have a treble concertina.

Edited by david_boveri

...i thinkyou have a treble concertina.

The Jack is actually a baritone, which makes it particularly suitable for the Bach cello suites.

(Although my wife, a cellist who hears me attempting them on my Wheatstone baritone, disagrees strongly. But then to her a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the concertina, yet refrains from doing so!)

But then to her a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the concertina, yet refrains from doing so!

I'll have to remember that, in the unlikely event of someone asking me to describe myself. :)

anglo concertinas come in different keys: C/G, Bb/F, G/D, etc. english concertinas come in ranges: treble, tenor, etc. i may be wrong, but i thinkyou have a treble concertina.

Thanks, that clear up my confusion.

But, yes, the Jack concertina is a baritone, one octave below the Jackie, one fifth higher than the cello's lower range.

Hi folks,

Blake

Super - may I suggest two pages open on same screen:

one with Rostropivich playing (so one can hear and play along with his cello)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXnujMPt30Q

and the other screen with Podzol's score open

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...ost&id=4840

just the kind of thing we need for the massed concertinas at the future Proms - can u imagine bass concertinas resonating underneath - would be inspirational !

Being useless at working out which key I can play in on my box (as always) willl have to see if I can match some chords first and then some notes but that's the advantage of seeing if I am not too out of toon with old Mstislav).

Hi folks,

Blake

Super - may I suggest two pages open on same screen:

just the kind of thing we need for the massed concertinas at the future Proms - can u imagine bass concertinas resonating underneath - would be inspirational !

Being useless at working out which key I can play in on my box (as always) willl have to see if I can match some chords first and then some notes but that's the advantage of seeing if I am not too out of toon with old Mstislav).

Whoops - Rostropovich not ...pivich! My dodgy keywork again...!

• 5 weeks later...
...may I suggest two pages open on same screen:

Nice thought, but Podzol's score is transposed to the key of D, and Rostropovich plays in the (original) key of G, so playing along from Podzol's score isn't likely to sound very good, even if you get it right. :o