Crane ranges

What ranges of Crane exist beyond 55 key? I've seen fingering charts for Crabb that extend beyone 70 keys. I'm curious about the left hand getting below (is it?) C1.

I'll be interested in any responses. Dirge, at least I bought a Wheatstone :)

As far as I an make out, all Cranes start on middle C in the right hand, and the C an octave lower in the left hand. The difference between the sizes is that more RH buttons give you higher notes (or make the high range fully chromatic), and more LH buttons increase the overlap.

Admittedly,I've never handled a 70-key, and my old Crane tutor shows layouts for only 35, 42, 48 and 55 keys.

Cheers,

John

I am the happy owner of a few large crane duets one,one 57 key, one 61 key, 2 68 keys one 72 key , and the beast one 80 key . All but one 68 key are by crabb and several have the engraving in the fret pattern mikea

... and their bottom notes are ... ???????

(That was a real bikini posting: revealed a lot, but not what we were really interested in <_< )

Cheers,

John

So, based on Kurt's layout, I'd need something like a 67 key to achieve that C-2 that I've always dreamed of ... based on my 55 key layout + 5 keys per 4th (including accidentals) and the final low C-2. Do such animals exist or does the fingering become 'custom' above 55 key? Is Crabb the only maker of bigger Cranes?

I do appreicate everyones responses.

I know that Charlotte Oliver of Charlotte & Spong is in discussion with a concertina maker over producing Cranes going down an extra row to G on both sides - it'll happen if enough people want one. God knows what they'll cost, but it's only money(!) :o

Won't take you down to that low C though.

Andrew

Hello again, the bottom note on the 80 key is C2 on the right hand it is aG, my 68 key crabb has etra notes of D# and E both single action a low Bb in the same row and a low F operated by the thumb, I trust this news is what you are waiting for .Mikea

Thanks, Mikea. It's sounding like the notes below C-1 didn't follow as common a standard as the regular 55-key and less versions.

Andrew, that would be interesting if someone would make a crane again. I don't know if I'd have enough spare body parts to sell to buy one and still be able to play it.

My 'other' concertina, a 70 button Wheatstone Crane Aeola, has a B and a Bb below Middle C on the right-hand. This is where I would really like a complete extra row.

Most of my repertoire (traditional English/Irish dances/songs) fits neatly on the right if in the Key of D with D as the lowest note (authentic) or in the Key of G if the lowest note lies below the tonic (plagal), but there are times when I would like to go lower on the right and that's more important to me personally than what's available on the left (or even on the top row of the right).

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
So, having given this some more thought and sadly deciding against a lovely 69 key Crabb, what are my options (other than Maccan) for a range from C-2 to c2? I'm assuming that's C below the bass staff to c above above middle c. EC or Duet?

Sorry, just don't respond with Piano accordion! :angry:

I know that Charlotte Oliver of Charlotte & Spong is in discussion with a concertina maker over producing Cranes going down an extra row to G on both sides - it'll happen if enough people want one. God knows what they'll cost, but it's only money(!) :o

Won't take you down to that low C though.

Sorry to be late chiming in. I've been out of contact for a while.

I've encountered a couple of Wheatstone 55-button Cranes that go down to G in both hands, i.e., a musical fourth lower than usual. But they therefore "lose" the top row of notes from a standard 55-button.

And as others have noted, Cranes with more buttons often go lower, though sometimes only in the left hand (and then higher in the right). My own Jeffries-made Crane with 59 buttons is basically a 55-button with 4 extras. Of the four, one is in the right hand, B below middle C, and right in pattern. The other three are in the left hand, a low Bb, A, and F, and those buttons are all placed outside the normal 5-wide array. They also breach the chromatic continuity that otherwise holds from the top all the way down to the low C. And I've seen another 59-button Crane by Jeffries that had the same button locations, but different notes (B, A, and G) on the extra left-hand buttons.

Ok Rod would you mind taking my name out of the sub-title now? I'm bored with looking at it and I think you've had your fun, although exactly why I should pick on you I don't know. I can't see anything particularly contentious in your post.

Have a Crane if you want. Have one for me as well while you're about it; knock yourself out, as they say...