Stolen concertina

Shayfogs

Not sure if this is te right place to raise this. Anyway a Lachenal 32 Key concertina as described was stolen from a music shop at the Fleadh Ceoil in Tullamore Co. Offaly on Sat. the Number is 183596 which is on a paper on the LH between the D/E and B/C buttons on the inside row. I don't have a picture but it is in the style of those made for the Salvation Army with full metal ends and mahogany tops' It probably won't get onto e-bay but just in case keep and eye out. If you hear of any such for sale please contact me in confidence.

Thanks for your time.

Shay

:o

Actually Shea, this is EXACTLY the sort of forum to contact about an instrument theft! We consider ourselves much like a big family, drawn together by a mutual interest in music. Thieves of musical intruments are the antithesis of our love of music. We are international in our membership and all would be happy to help anyone recover their rightful property. Many of us use the internet auction sites and would make it a point to notify those sites of any "hot" instruments. Some of us are also music professionals or owners of music stores. NONE of us wants to get involved with servicing or re-selling illegally gained property. I think I can speak for all of us that we're happy to spread the news of a stolen instrument and hope you'll regain it soon, safe & sound. Cordially, KerryF

Some reminders to us all, now that the horse has left the barn:

Always have a paper with your contact details inside the case. Make sure a reward for safe return is mentioned.

Always put your name in several places inside the concertina. I tuck my name on papers hidden midway down inside the bellows as well as under the reed pans. This will help identify the instrument in the event of recovery.

Always keep pictures of your instruments handy. This will help you recover the instrument in the unhappy event of its disappearance.

Best of luck Shay. I will post notice of the instrument in other venues and we'll hope that it turns up. In the meantime, best wishes from us all.

David

Some reminders to us all, now that the horse has left the barn:

Always have a paper with your contact details inside the case. Make sure a reward for safe return is mentioned.

Always put your name in several places inside the concertina. I tuck my name on papers hidden midway down inside the bellows as well as under the reed pans. This will help identify the instrument in the event of recovery.

Always keep pictures of your instruments handy. This will help you recover the instrument in the unhappy event of its disappearance.

Best of luck Shay. I will post notice of the instrument in other venues and we'll hope that it turns up. In the meantime, best wishes from us all.

David

Thanks David and to you to all for your support. There are some specific identifiers on this tina apart from the number which I do not wish to disclose for obvious reasons.

Shay

I have a small label affixed in the bellows of my concertina(s):

Wheatstone English Concertina No xxxxxx

If you are reading this you are handling a valuable, cherished but unfortunately - stolen musical instrument.

The owner would have removed this label before sale. The fact that the label is inside, means it is definitely stolen. Please now contact the police. If you have been asked to purchase this instrument, obtain details and contact the police discreetly as soon as possible.

The loss of this instrument has been notified to Police, dealers, Ebay and posted on internet forums, specifically concertina.net . People are looking for this instrument, Even if you have bought this instrument, possibly some time ago and only just discovered this label, do not ignore this notice, it is just as stolen as it was when you bought it. You may be unable to play this in public as it will probably be recognised - hand it in to the police or call the rightful owner. The owner will pay a reward for the return of this instrument.

Owners details XXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXX

tel XXXXXXXXXX

DO NOT ALLOW CRIME TO WIN – DO THE RIGHT THING

I know this might not work but it is a chance. I know if I bought an instrument with this label in I would (releuctantly) try to get the instrument back to its owner. Obviously the issue of financial loss makes this difficult. Hopefully a suitable reward should help.

I also bought a pair of new strap buttons and had my name and phone number engraved on them in case of simple loss. The original buttons stay in the box.

Simon

Edited by Simon H

I'm sure most of our UK members know this, but just in case it has passed you by ..... unless you have clear proof of ownership such as photo's and/or documents giving clear and unequivocal proof, our law will allow the thief to claim the property as his/her own....possession being 9 points etc. There are many sad cases of people who have not received their stolen goods back, even after a thief has been caught and convicted, simply because they held no clear evidence that a particular part of the booty was really theirs! Its still festival season, so don't let that precious box out of your sight. :(

I'm sure most of our UK members know this, but just in case it has passed you by ..... unless you have clear proof of ownership such as photo's and/or documents giving clear and unequivocal proof, our law will allow the thief to claim the property as his/her own....possession being 9 points etc. There are many sad cases of people who have not received their stolen goods back, even after a thief has been caught and convicted, simply because they held no clear evidence that a particular part of the booty was really theirs! Its still festival season, so don't let that precious box out of your sight. :(

It's worth investigating some of the security products that the police regularly check for when recovering stolen goods. The Home Office in the UK recommends marking antique or valuable property with an Ultraviolet pen - marking it with your postcode & house number. Whether you can find a suitable spot for this might be difficult on a concertina but it would need to be somewhere visible from the outside as I'm not sure if the police would take a concertina apart looking for identification without a specific reason. The Home Office also recommends having photos and serial numbers, identifying marks etc... My insurer sent out free a pack of the liquid that contains microscopic identifying tags, but I don't think the police check for these by default.

Edited by Woody