Multi-talented concertinists

Having met some of you at concertina events, and having lurked on the forums, it is obvious to me that a good portion of the concertina folks have multiple instruments in their repertoire. So I thought I'd ask this here: anyone have thoughts on a decent electric keyboard? The requirements for me is that it have 4 or 5 octaves nd have a reasonably realistic feel to the keys. I'm a mid-level kinda player, comfortable on a regular piano. I'm primarily going to have this at a shared family second home; I gues it should allow me to listen with headphones and not disturb others with my practicing (although I don't really care if my concertina bothers them ....) Anyway, if you have had any experinece with a particular model or know something about keyboards, i'd appreciate taking advantage of your knowledge. Thanks!

Jay

I got a Yamaha Clavinova so that I could play without disturbing people. It was a couple of years ago, and I got the CLP240 model, which feels and sounds pretty good. I'd definitely recommend something like this.

I have a Korg 88-key keyboard/synthesiser with weighted keys, and it's a tremendously versatile instrument with the feel of a piano. The model - a Korg N1 - is about 10 years old and, though it may have been superseded by a later version, is still a much sought-after instrument. It's not cheap - mine cost me £1,000 new - but there may well be second-hand ones on the market, or there may be cheaper models for purchase.

Wouldn't an electronic concertina be useful?

Then you could start learning without troubling your neighbours with your first, grating efforts!!

Is there such a thing?

http://www.s-wave.co.uk/controller.html amongst others. There's also been discussion of them here before now, here for example.

I've never played a MIDI concertina, but I've always found even top-of-the-range MIDI wind controllers very unsatisfactory compared to the 'real thing' ...

Hi, I think we are both English concertina players in Georgetown. We bought a Yamaha electronic piano with 88 weighted keys. It really plays well, but we have not actually used it very much. I have been intending to stop by and say hello the next time I am at the wharf. Jack Gunnell 371-2869

Wouldn't an electronic concertina be useful?

Then you could start learning without troubling your neighbours with your first, grating efforts!!

Is there such a thing?

I think that would be the best use for a MIDI/Electronic Concertina: quiet practice. As an apartment dweller I know all too well the need for quiet practice.

2nd best use would be in re-configuration (as per your other thread).

However I have found that you cannot be a shy concertina/accordion player, just like you can not be a shy singer.

Hi, I think we are both English concertina players in Georgetown. We bought a Yamaha electronic piano with 88 weighted keys. It really plays well, but we have not actually used it very much. I have been intending to stop by and say hello the next time I am at the wharf. Jack Gunnell 371-2869

Yes, I used to play out on our porch by the wharf all the time ... if you see us around, stop by. I didn't know there WERE any other players in Georgetown!

Good suggestions - after being used to a "regular" piano. the weighted keys seems like it might be useful.

The electronic concertina - it seems almost oxymoronic in a physical way, geiven the nature of the sound generation. Very useful in those homes where our practicing upsets the pets!

I think that would be the best use for a MIDI/Electronic Concertina: quiet practice.

Actually the best use I've found for my MIDI concertina is the ability to sound like a cathedral organ should I want to. Or a string quartet. Or a french horn. Superb fun. Also, for people like me who've never mastered conventional keyboards, it opens up modern sequencers. I'm having a lot of fun with Logic Pro just now. I couldn't make half the headway I am with it if I didn't have a decent MIDI controller, which for me is a Whiteley/Lachenal rosewood ended 32 button MIDI anglo.

Chris